New controller doesn't fit into R-20

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
thebitmaster
New controller doesn't fit into R-20

I've owned an EVTAmerica R-20 for over a year. I've had a substantial number of problems with it, the most recent being the controller dieing after the oft-mentioned random-cutout problem seen by many EVTAmerica owners. For a complete list of my problems, see the "improvement" list of the R-30 vs. the R-20. I've pretty much had them all.

I *finally* got the new controller, which is supposed to be the "upgraded" version used in the R-30 series. It looks *almost* identical to the original, *except* that the wires sticking out the front have a lot of black plastic, either a strain-relief or possibly a plug-and-socket arrangement, that results in them sticking out about 2 inches beyond the end of the controller. The previous controller had the wires snaking directly out of the box. In the R-20, the batteries sit right in front of the controller, and after taking all the time to bolt the controller into place and re-attach all the wires, it's completely obvious that there is no longer room for the two batteries in the tray in front of the controller. Has anyone else seen this problem? At this point it looks like I'm going to have to modify either the controller itself or the battery box to get everything to fit, which is ridiculous for what should have been a drop-in replacement. I informed EVTAmerica of the problem three days ago, and have gotten no reply.

http://flickr.com/photos/25788039@N00/3045531128/

Scott

ggggarret
Re: New controller doesn't fit into R-20

i've had the same problem - my controller cuts out making it unsafe to drive the scooter - i haven't driven it 200 miles in the nearly year i've owned it. so far it has proven to be a huge waste of time/money. i was hoping to be shipped a new controller so i could sell the scooter since no one wants to buy it as is even though it's brand new.

please keep us updated on your progress and if it fixes the problem.

garret

thebitmaster
Re: New controller doesn't fit into R-20

Sorry it took so long to reply!

The new controller and shocks have been a huge improvement. It hardly ever cuts out when accelerating, and the few times it's done it has been under really crazy strain. It still a major threat to my spine to continue riding it, but it's far, far better than it was before. I know where all the potholes and manhole covers are now!

Although the scooter has been out of commission for about half the year I've owned it, it's only failed to get me somewhere twice so far. I just had a problem with the charger, but when I took it apart I saw that a coil had pulled from the PC board, and once I soldered it back on (which required pulling off one coil of wire to get some slack) it appears to be working again.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage