I don't belong here :(

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
68snewpy
I don't belong here :(

When I first got my Luyuan e-bike I thought it was a close relative to the Xtreme xb500 but the more I find out about it the more I realize how different it is. For example, today I discovered that my bike doesn't have a DC/DC convertor. That's right, no 12v system, everything runs on full 48v. I noticed this while trying to find a 12v source for the LED brake lights to activate the electric brake function of my new controller. Kinda strange also that the "ground" wire is actually hot full time and the switching is done on the negative side of the circuit.
Anyway, my point is that this forum has some great info (and people) but is not right for my bike. Does anyone know of a Luyuan bike (or similar) forum I can check out?

davew
davew's picture
Re: I don't belong here :(

This is a big site, not just a forum for any particular bike. Yes there are subgroups, but the expertise around here is broader than than. Just ask your question. In particular I have seen dc-to-dc converters discussed a few times. You can probably find them with the search feature.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

Ken68
Ken68's picture

When I first got my Luyuan e-bike I thought it was a close relative to the Xtreme xb500 but the more I find out about it the more I realize how different it is. For example, today I discovered that my bike doesn't have a DC/DC convertor. That's right, no 12v system, everything runs on full 48v. I noticed this while trying to find a 12v source for the LED brake lights to activate the electric brake function of my new controller. Kinda strange also that the "ground" wire is actually hot full time and the switching is done on the negative side of the circuit.
Anyway, my point is that this forum has some great info (and people) but is not right for my bike. Does anyone know of a Luyuan bike (or similar) forum I can check out?
------------

Well I have a Luyuan E-Bike with only 48 volt DC wiring with no 12 volts DC at all. I wanted to add 12 volt DC accessories so I added a small 12 volts DC SLA I had on hand in the glove compartment to run the 12 volts DC accessories. I use a 12 volts DC SLA Float Mode Smart Charger I had on hand to keep the battery charged.

Thanks,
Ken Finch

Thanks,
Ken Finch

68snewpy

I'll end up doing the same thing if I decide to add 12v items. Have you tried sourcing replacement light bulbs? I don't expect that to be easy.
Are you still running the Luyuan controller? I had to replace mine with a generic (larger) one and it works great but it's a challenge to use some features like the e-brake with the funky Luyuan electrical system. It would be nice if there was more support for these bikes. No dealers around here carry them and the manufacturer in China is pretty unresponsive.

Ken68
Ken68's picture

No, I am running the stock Luyuan 48 volt DC 25 Amp Controller. I did a shunt mod to it though to give me an acceptable torque level from the 450 watt Brushless Geared Hub Motor with the original 48 volt DC 20 AH SLA Battery Pack. I climb hills at or around 28kmh - 30kmh. On flats I travel at 32kmh - 34kmh according to my Tom Tom One 3rd. Edition GPS Receiver. I am running the stock 48 volt lighting system. For me I can see the roads good enough nights. I mostly ride under street lights anyways. My mods are listed here:

- 12 Volt 3 AH SLA battery in the glove compartment for 12 volt accessories

- added a 12 volt Cigarette Lighter Accessory Port on the front dash for 12 volt accessories

- Tom Tom One 3rd. Edition GPS Receiver with its 12 volt power plug

- 12 volt 3 plug Cigarette Lighter Plug Splitter

- 12 volt powered Bluetooth Handsfree Kit for my Bluetooth Enabled Cell Phone

- 12 volt powered amplifified speakers to play music from my 1GB MP3 Player when riding

- 3 LED 3 "AAA" powered light under the seat inside the seat bucket to see what is under the seat when it is dark out

- I carry a 12 volt recharged LED Flashlight for emergency use at night. It can be plugged into the Cigarette Lighter Plug for recharging

- I always carry in my rear trunk a 30' outdoor extension cord, 12 volt 1.5 Amp Smart Float Mode SLA Battery Charger, Luyuan 48 volt 3 Amp E-Bike Charger, 3 way 110 volt AC Plug Splitter, Philips screwdriver and 3 Micro Fiber Cleaning Cloths to dry or clean my E-Bike

- I also installed under the headlight fairing a FIAMM Dual Tone Dual Horn 12 volt Air Compressor Powered Air Horn Set and a Gorilla 12 volt Motorcycle Alarm System

- I also installed a foldable cup holder to hold my water bottle when commuting back and forth to work

Check out my V is for Voltage Vehicle page to see photos of my E-Bike and its other features. And Yes I live in North York Ontario and I am still riding my E-Bike no matter if it is raining, snowing, sunny, windy out.

Thanks,
Ken Finch

Gendronw
Gendronw's picture

Impressive mod list ken68 !

For myself, I bought a used and broken 48v luyuan bike which I was able to convert to a XB-600 using a motor and a controller from Xtreme. Mine had a 48 to 12v converter installed. I must say that overall my bike was very similar in design to a XB-500 or XB-600 bike.

There are plenty of dc-dc converter available on the net..it should not be too hard to find. I had to buy one because I killed the original, here is the part number from Extreme.

XB508-246 Transformer DC/DC

It is available from their website for 20$...Maybe you can order it from ArticFox, an active member of this forum. here is a link to Extreme website

http://secure.internetwebpros.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=api&Category_Code=xb508p

It is normally fused at 10amps so I guess this is what it is capable of.

For more info on my conversion check out my blog !

http://visforvoltage.org/blog/gendronw

Ken68
Ken68's picture

Well I wanted to go with a complete seperate 12 volt battery powered system for reliability reasons and I wanted to keep the 48 volt battery system completely seperate from the 12 volt battery system. That way when I remove the main 48 volt battery for charging I can still activate and use the Gorilla Motorcycle Alarm System. With a DC to DC Converter which is powered from the main 48 volt battery, when the main battery is removed the power for the DC to DC Converter is removed as well. Plus if the 12 volt DC SLA battery fails it is alot cheaper to replace it then a failed DC to DC Converter. I decided not to try and rewire my lighting system to run off of 12 volts because I would have to reconfigure the circuitry in the controller for the brakelight, also remove the 48 volt signal flasher and install a 12 volt flasher, It sounds expensive and time consuming. The store I bought my E-Bike from is looking into a LED Brakelight for my E-Bike, because the last couple of Condor E-Bikes they brought in from the Luyuan company had the LED Brakelights installed.

Thanks,
Ken Finch

colin9876

Just curious, can anyone explain this 'Ground wire is hot as switching done negative side' statement to me?
Surely if u break a circuit anywhere then no current will flow.
Im keen to learn and seen other post which mention 'ground wires' so would be grateful if anyone can explain?

68snewpy

Basically what I meant was that my bike wiring is opposite to normal automotive style electrical systems. Usually power is fed from the positive terminal to a switch and when activated allows current to flow through the bulb or whatever and then to "ground" which connects to the negative terminal. Thus when measured against the ground, voltage is only present at the bulb when the switch is activated. On my bike the wiring to the bulb is "hot" all the time and the switch is on the ground side of the circuit. This makes it a problem to use the brake light wiring to activate the e-brake in the controller I bought because it would always be on.
Make sense?

JamesS
JamesS's picture

Yes, it makes sense, and I hate to add complexity and power consumption to a EV, but a small relay could solve your problem. Simply supply the opposite Voltage/ Polarity through a relay as to the Voltage/ Polarity at the tail lamp.

Happy scooting,
JamesS

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage