newbie vith battery questions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Diamondback ebike
newbie vith battery questions

Hi all.

Long time lurker, first time posting...

My name is Jason, im 36 years old from Sydney Australia, and have just completed the build
of my diamondback Ebike project.

a short overview clip of the bike can be seen here.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7bdqNY0LUfU

i am running a Cyclone style 500W mid drive system.
i also bought a battery and charger from ebike.ca. the 24V 18A Ni-Mh pack that i bought is just not suitable
for my riding style, and i find i need a good quality LiFePo4 pack.

i have been looking at the packs on offer from cyclone-tw.com.
these seem to be good. has anyone here used these packs ?

the one i want is the 24V 20Ah pack. they use cylindrical cells.
cyclone-tw.com claims they are good for up to 75A loads.

since my 500W cyclone motor is drawing up to 45A peaks, i think these will be ok ?
i will be commuting 35km per day and charging while im at work.
so far i have been using about 14Wh/Km or about 12Ah of power for each leg of my commute.
current draw averages at about 30A.

the Ni-Mh pack i currently have is a good pack, it's just not suitable for the motor im running.
the LiFePo4 pack from cyclone-tw.com is not cheap, but i figure you get what you pay for, and i should have just bought a decent pack up front.

learn from your mistakes i guess.....

can anyone offer advice on these packs ?

Jason.

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: newbie vith battery questions

No personal experience with them, but those are the good high discharge rate cells. Pingbattery.com also sells a lower discharge rate pack that, if you buy the 20 ah size, should also be able to supply enough power. He can be trusted. A lot of other less expensive lifepo4 packs are junk. But if you buy the cyclones, you will have a battery that can tolerate an upgrade in the motor later. That 20 ah cyclone pack can actually deliver a lot more power than 75 amps, but is limited by the bms. Higher current bms just gets more expensive so they don't use it if it is not needed. Nothing wrong with getting the best this time, after buying the wrong one last time. Those cyclones seem to draw higher peak amps than some of the hub motors that other pack was made for. 500 watts is a lot for a 24v motor.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Diamondback ebike

Thanks for the feedback.

Paco has offered me the 20A pack for $858 US with the bag and 8A charger including shipping.
it's a lot of coin, i know, but the pack should last 2 or more years, and should be capable of
supplying the required current.

i have looked closely at those ping packs, and while lots of people have had good results, and im
sure that he's a good trusted retailer who knows his stuff, his packs just will not suit my riding style.
i just like going fast too much. i average 40km/h most of the time, and have seen 60km/h (once)

i think i will end up buying the Cyclone 20A pack.
Unless i find someone that has had problems with them.....

Jason.

Diamondback ebike

Dave-s

Hi Jason,
I've been looking around for the same type of pack. I currently have an offer from Headway for a 24v20Ah LiFePo4 pack for $310 + $90 shipping.
This includes BMS and charger. I don't know what rate the charger is, but my guess is between 3-5A.
The only problem I have is transferring the money to Headway. They want a bank transfer, and do not accept PayPal, so this will cost an extra few bucks for commission.
If you're interested, I can send you the details.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage