20% tax credit in GA for ZEV

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
MikeB
20% tax credit in GA for ZEV

Good news arrived today. I was expecting it, but you never know for sure when dealing with the government, especially state government.

My R.Martin EVD purchase was recognized by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources (GA DNR) as a Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV). That means I can take 20% of the purchase price as a tax credit. In effect, I get $900 back on my purchase when I file my state taxes, which is a nice chunk of money.

For anyone else in the state of Georgia, you'll just need to fill out a form (LEV/ZEV Tax Credit Form) and send in a copy of your title, registration, and invoice. The details are at the GA Environmental Protection Division (EPD) website:
http://www.gaepd.org/Documents/epdforms_apb.html

Follow the instructions there, and send it in to the EPD care of James Udi, who is apparently the guy who signs the approval.

I chatted with James briefly on the phone, and he wanted to know the top speed of my vehicle. I think they won't approve something that falls into the electric bicycle category, but the EVD is registered as a motorcycle here so it counted.

MikeB
Re: 20% tax credit in GA for ZEV

As a side note, the brand new economic stimulus bill signed by Pres. Obama now has tax credits that apply to PHEV motorcycles and scooters as well. I'm not going to be able to claim anything for my EVD, but if I buy another electric scooter I should be able to take 10% of the purchase price as a credit on my Federal tax return. The law is a bit confusing to read, but I think any motorbike with a 2.5kWh battery will qualify (the PHEV car credit starts with a 4kWh battery requirement).

With 20% from the state of GA, and 10% from the Feds, I'm looking at 30% off the purchase price of a new electric bike. That's pretty sweet encouragement.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: 20% tax credit in GA for ZEV

Unfortunately I think the 10% Fed credit doesn't start until 2010. Can someone confirm that?

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage