stacking cheap chargers to gain amperage. Cheap, frugal, or stupid?

6 replies [Last post]
ruprek

what maladies am I getting into by stacking 3 48 volt 2.5 amp chargers wired parallel to give me 7.5 amps charging 4 22ah universal sla batteries? This is probably a dumb question, but I really appreciate the help.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
spinningmagnets
Re: stacking cheap chargers to gain amperage. Cheap, ...

It's my understanding that chemical betteries like a slow discharge and charge best, but sometimes an enthusiast will want a fast charge, regardless of the need to manage possible problems.

The general rule of thumb I have "dog-eared" is a lead-acid battery doesn't like to be charged faster than 1/10 the total capacity. For instance a 10 A/h battery should be charged at rate of one-amp or less. I hear in FLA's it boils away the fluid due to electrolysis, but in a SLA I can only imagine that one problem will be excessive heat.

Anyone else with experience in SLA "fast charging"?

dogman
dogman's picture

From what I have heard a short burst of higher current can be good for blasting off sulfites, or just getting a really dead battery awake enough to take a normal charge. But for regular charging, slow is better for more cycles before the battery dies. I wouldn't think much more than 4 amps would be a good idea. One way to do that would be 4 cheap 4 amp 12v chargers, and then charge each battery individualy. Lots of people with car conversions swear by that method for better balancing. Monsterscooterparts and Electricscooterparts both have a decent deal on such a 4 amp charger.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

dogman
dogman's picture

If a fast charge is more important to you than battery lifespan, batteryspace has a cheap 10 amp 12v charger. Two chargers doing two paralell connected batterys each? 5 amps per battery and half as many chargers.

Be the pack leader.

PJD

The spec sheets for most SLA's specify a maximum charging rate of 1/3 C or 7.33 amps in your case. So you are only a little bit over the maximum charging rate.

Wether there is a benefit at charging at the low end of the permissible range, I don't know.

ruprek

Thanks for all the info. It helped out a lot. I was fairly apprehensive the way I kabobed them together. I plugged it in and it seemed to work ok. The triple decker got warm rather quickly, but the oversize fan I installed did,t come on. Is there an approximate temperature that the fans kick in or are they all over the board?. They cost a wopping $16.00 a piece on ebay so I'm somewhat surprised they worked at all. I really appreciate your help.

dogman
dogman's picture

Cool, I didn't realise you had em already. Keep us posted on how it goes, chargers are pricy and hard to find in the 6 to 10 amp range for 36 and 48 volts.

Be the pack leader.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Short URL

Juiced Hybrid Accessories and upgrades for hybrid cars
e-Bike Kit Electric bicycle conversion kits and accessories
JensonUSA Bicycle parts and accessories
Customize This