BD36--again

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
bebob
BD36--again

dang it's been a cold one this winter. but above 0 now. perhaps dogman or chas can figure this out?? while i wait to get my new 48v lifepo4. i saw that my 36v would turn the motor for 10-15 seconds then all power would die. now if i unplug the batt and plugin again it would spark to fill the capps. now when it worked properly the controller had enough charge left to run the lights on controller and throttle for?-15 seconds.but now the controller haas nothing when the system dies but i pluggin and it runs the motor for 10+ seconds and dies, again same thing. so could this just be the throttle? please refer to my last post of "BD36" being in Homer Alaska i dont know anyone with the same settup, so swaping parts around is not an option. but i dont want to trash the ones i have when they may be good!. thankyou Bob.

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: BD36--again

Sounds similar to what my controller is doing, but being a few thousand miles further south, mine gets over it. When I start my ride when it is below freezing, I get a few cut outs like you describe till the thing warms itself up. After that it runs fine, but the colder it gets, the more times I have to cycle it to get it to wake up and run. See if it works when it is warm, either by bringing the bike inside, or just the controller. Cold batteries could be part of the problem too. I think the problem I have had was the controller, but it could be the bms on the ping battery. When I unplug and reconnect, the spark seems weak, so I suspect the problem is a cold battery causing the controller low volt to trip? What I do now is when it is really cold, ok cold to me, like 32 F, I'll run the motor no load for a minuite before I try to ride.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

bebob

Thankyou Dogman. I tried that today! being in the 30's and all I thought it would work. but after many plugging in's i could only get it to spin the wheel for about 3 minutes. I had it up in the air so there was no resistance. It would continue to spin at half throttle but everytime i pushed it all the way it just went dead. and sometimes i would get one second of throttle then it would die. I always keep the li-ion in the house. so i know it's not that. and it's funny I was riding in december and the cold did not seem to matter. anyway I will get a new, bigger controler and twist throttle to match the 48v lifepo I will buy, when my wife is not looking!!!
just rebuilt an old Miami sun 24v trike motor and will run it on 36v and see how it goes??? this one is for my friend who is an old geeser too. so we will be a trike gang in Alaska. will send pics when we finish tricking them out. Bob. by the way trikes with studded tires are safer than walking on ice for the elderly!!.

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

bebob,

I have a Miami Sun adult trike which I built for my mother (75+ years old) and it works great with one exception. On ice with only 1 drive wheel it does not want to go in a straight line. I have been trying to find a differential I can use on the back but so far, no luck. Do you plan to use a diff or something to solve this problem? If you have any ideas please let me know. Hills on ice are impossible.

Grandpa Chas S.

dogman
dogman's picture

What a bummer, I was hoping you just had the same issue I did, easily dealt with. Any chance something else is making the voltage to the controller weak, like the connector? It could even be where the wire solders onto the cotroller board or something like that. It definitely sounds like weak flow to the motor, so check all wiring and connectors. When you connect the battery to the controller, is the spark weak? On mine it is, so I think my main issue is the battery being cold. Once I start discharging, it warms up, and the controller circuits too.

Be the pack leader.

dogman
dogman's picture

Maybe on ice the way to go is the front hub motor.

Be the pack leader.

bebob

I have the motor on the front wheel. and I made my own studs. the split axel is a pain as when peddeling it drives right wheel, when braking it only works left wheel. solid axel with ratcheting hubs L/R would be easy solve. If only someone made such creatures.
We have wild fluctuations in weather here on the coast so most of the time the bike paths are ...skatable. I only have studs on the front. and being they stickout about 1/4 inch I get good gription! no studs on back makes it kinda fun!! commercial studs on back would be safest. betya this time next year there will be that kind of axel! I also put three sproket on the pedal crank and deraileure. now i can peddle as fast as the motor.
And yes dogman I think perhaps could be connect but just cannot see anything amiss. i even opened the controller looking for just that...nothing. I am half tempted to get the batts out of some of my-ah-vintage trucks, wire them together and see what happens. I think I have less than 100hrs on this whole setup so I doknow. just like buying tools...It's better to spend the money for the goodones. At $800+ should have gotten more out of this Kit. Bob.

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Just for information I wanted to address dogman's statement;

Maybe on ice the way to go is the front hub motor.

On my Miami Sun I put the motor and batteries in a box on the back of the trike. Then I placed a false bottom over these items to have a place to carry items. I also placed an additional freewheel on the rear axle so the motor could drive the driving wheel along with the peddles. I did not change the peddle drive line. My Miami Sun uses a 4-speed bicycle internally geared hub which gives the rider 4 different gears to peddle in. Having 2 freewheels allows the rider to coast or peddle, both with and without motor assist. Works great. To get to the point with all that weight in the back I found the front of the trike very light. When traveling up hill a front hub motor would not get enough traction, IMO, to pull the trike up hill. On ice this would be even worse. This is of course due to 3 lead acid batteries and a 350-watt motor at the back. My top speed is 14.4 MPH on level ground with a range of about 14 miles at top speed. This is with me (220 Lbs.) on the trike.

Grandpa Chas S.

bebob

Chas. I got a Ev-3 and turned it around. It had no gears at all. I put in a three cog crank at the peddles. we have a Schwinn now with no gears and will do the same. I can find bikes at the secondhand stores for about 5-10 dollars.they have the gears i am after. should have to buy them it would cost much more. Granted the remainder is now landfill. but they would have been that anyway. well your wheel drive is never going to work on ice. do not use LA. put the weight on the front. the potential here is great and should be vetted here. We can build electric trikes for those in the extreme northern climes. Hopefully someone will develop, axles that do what we want them to do. In the mean time i have to deal with crap electronics. perhaps we will get beyond this also. Bebob.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage