Converting from String Charging to Bank Charging

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tanner
Tanner's picture
Converting from String Charging to Bank Charging

Does someone sell a wiring harness to convert a Zapino from string battery charging to bank battery charging? That would be the easiest way to convert. If not, is there a wiring diagram available and a parts list for molex or other connectors used?

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Converting from String Charging to Bank Charging

Tanner, I see you commented in this thread: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/2969-simplified-bank-charger-wiring which hopefully means you've read through that and now understand?

Basically bank charging is very simple. Each battery has a + and - as does each charger. Simply make a wiring harness that connects the +'s and -'s of charger to battery and you'll be fine. The above thread (as I recall) discussed a way to do the harness with fewer wires.

The simplest-to-understand bank charging requires 2*N wires. That is two wires for each battery/charger combination. However there is another wiring method that uses N+1 wires. It uses fewer wires but requires more cognitive work to understand. Both end up doing the same thing, however, connecting an individual charger to each battery.

Tanner
Tanner's picture

I heard about the N+1 scheme but was not sure if it was proper for individual battery charging. After posting this message here, I saw the separate detailed post about the N+1 wiring and also posted a message in that thread. Thanks for responding to both of my posts.

Steve Tanner

Tanner
Tanner's picture

I completed the conversion to bank charging using five B&D (VEC1086BBD) chargers to hopefully extend the life of the batteries. One battery was severely undercharged (9.6 volts) using the stock string charger after only 7 months and 1100km. I'm using the N+1 wiring method and after going though a couple of charge cycles it seems that the undercharged battery is performing like the other four batteries again.

What is the proper amp setting to use on the chargers (2,4, or 6)? The manual says that the 4 amp setting should be used for "mid-sized battereies as in small cars", and the 6 amp setting should be used for "automobiile batteries and light trucks." The batteries in the Zapino are 35Ah. I would like to use the fastest charge rate that will not adversly affect the life of the battery. Any suggestions?

Steve Tanner

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Tanner,

The best way to know is to look up the specification of the batteries used in the Zapino which as you say are 35Ah. I would google or yahoo the battery model number and find a spec. sheet. That would tell me what the maximum charge current for these batteries are. These are deep cycle batteries and do not compare with car batteries as car batteries have much smaller plates and completely different charge rates.

Grandpa Chas S.,

sgmdudley

I use the 4amp setting on my scooter. Just seems to be in the middle.
I am not concerned about fast charge as sometimes this is not the best
way to treat the batteries.

I also rotate my chargers by one battery position about once a month
because they are not a matched set. This way no one battery gets used
to one charger (and one may have an output that is different from the
others).

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

Tanner
Tanner's picture

Tanner,

The best way to know is to look up the specification of the batteries used in the Zapino which as you say are 35Ah. I would google or yahoo the battery model number and find a spec. sheet. That would tell me what the maximum charge current for these batteries are. These are deep cycle batteries and do not compare with car batteries as car batteries have much smaller plates and completely different charge rates.

Grandpa Chas S.,

I looked up the spec sheet for the B&B Battery EVP35-12S and it says "Max Charging Current (CA) is .3". Not sure what that means

Steve Tanner

Steve Tanner

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Tanner,

I just looked at the spec sheet for the EVP35-12S and it says the Maximum Charge Current(A) is 10.5 Amps.
So I would use the 6 amp setting on your charger.

Grandpa Chas S.

Tanner
Tanner's picture

Tanner,

I just looked at the spec sheet for the EVP35-12S and it says the Maximum Charge Current(A) is 10.5 Amps.
So I would use the 6 amp setting on your charger.

Grandpa Chas S.

Thanks. Now I see that on the first page of the spec sheet!

Steve Tanner

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage