Controller Problem: Green light doesn't go on at all, and bike doesn't work.

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
jnromero
Controller Problem: Green light doesn't go on at all, and bike doesn't work.

I have a BL36 with a ping lifepo4 48V20AH battery. I have been riding around fine until this morning when the bike stopped working. I have checked all connections and they seem to be fine.

When the battery is plugged in, the red light on the controller lights up solid, but the green light not at all.
Also the lights on the throttle light up as normal.

Anyone had this problem before, or know what it could be? Thanks a lot.

colin9876
Re: Controller Problem: Green light doesn't go on at all, ...

48v 20amps, how many cells in that? 3.2v 5ahr cell setup would be something like 15s4p ?
My guess is that some of the parallel cells have come unsoldered, so you still have the 48v to light up the throttle, but dont have the full amps to drive the bike.

do you still have any old SLAs to try the bike with? Put a voltmeter on ur LifePO4 pack, does it still read the appropriate voltage?

ItsElectric

Can you please check the voltage of your battery. What is the measure voltage of the battery pack? Do you have any other battery pack like SLA? What if you plug in another battery pack, will it start?

Ken

youtube: http://ca.youtube.com/powerinmotion

jnromero

Hey, thanks for the responses.

I tried to plug in my old SLA that came with the BL36 kit, same thing. I don't have a battery for my volt meter right now, but I will check it later today, and tell you what it says.

jnromero

Based on my naive knowledge of this stuff, the voltage seems to be good on both batteries.

I get 56 for the lifepo4 and 39 for the SLA, so I think it might be something wrong with the controller.

dogman
dogman's picture

The caps in the controller are supposed to be 63v, but your battery is 58v, so that is not much margin. Or something else may have blown like the fets. It is a controller designed for 36v after all, no garantee it doesn't have a part or two inside that can't handle 58v. Win some lose some. With a 48v sla battery it would be more likely to start out at 56v and drop within a few minuites to lower still. With lifepo4, the voltage will stay higher for a lot longer, maybe long enough to have done the damage.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

colin9876

Yep sounds like it - You are getting a good voltage from that LiFePO4. Did u get a noticably faster ride when u upgraded to that battery pack?

Anyway sounds like uve burnt the controller out, or the motor.
Let me check its a 36v brushless motor and controller right? Is this a kit that you put on a standard bike?
Certainly sounds like u need a 48v controller / motor - it may even give u a bit more power by not limiting the amps so much!

jnromero

On my SLA's I was able to go about 20 without pedaling, with lifepo4 I am able to go about 28 or so without pedaling.

I have the WE BL36 with the stock 50amp controller.

Any recommendations for new controller?

colin9876

Thats good range - sounds like u have a good batt.
Is ur current controller sensor or sensor-less (i.e. does it have 5 hall leads going to it, along with the 3 power ones?)
Ive read that the Hall sensors can break easily, just wondering if its those rather than the controller. What happens if you lift the wheel up and spin it - will it keep going with the power on??

How much do WE sell 48v controllers for?

jnromero

It has the connector to the motor, to the throttle, to the battery, and one more for the brake cutoff; that is all.

It can be seen here: http://myebike.net/myebike_manual.pdf

The wheel won't spin at all, whether lifted or on the ground.

I don't think WE sells 48V controller, but I was under the impression that this controller should be able to handle 48V, but I guess I was wrong.

dogman
dogman's picture

Look inside the controller, if the little can like things inside look burnt, but nothing else is, you may be able to replace the capacitor that fried with one that is rated for a higher voltage. Nothing to lose by trying if that looks to be the problem. Ecrazyman on ebay is a good source of controllers cheap. Look for sensorless, brushless, 48v.

Be the pack leader.

dogman
dogman's picture

Or ebikes-ca has a controller that will work for you that goes to 72v. Costly, but it allows cycleananlyst direct plug in. Most likely what I'd go for if I wanted a new controller for my bl36. You'd have to put anderson connectors on the motor wires is all. All I saw at ecrazyman was controllers for motors with hall sensors.

Be the pack leader.

jnromero

Thank you all for the responses. Another question though.

If I get a controller from e-crazyman, would I be alright with a 48V controller like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/48V-600W-brushless-controller-for-E-bike-scooter_W0QQitemZ300248682281QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11332QQcmdZViewItem...

Or should I jump up to the 72V because me battery measures 56V on the voltage meters.

colin9876

Yes that controller, good price, but its a sensor one with 5 hall leads.
If ur motor only has 3 power leads to it you need a sensorless controller.

I prefer sensorless anyway - less to go wrong.

dogman
dogman's picture

A controller that is made for 48 v should be able to handle the ping 48v. The 48v number is pretty much the low end of the working voltage of a 48v sla battery. Lifepo4 is two or three volts higher on the high end, and keeps the voltage on the high end of the range for longer, where sla starts to gradually drop right away. Most WE controllers should handle 48v, but the parts inside are rated to 63v. Fine if they really handle 63, but not fine if they actually burn out at 58v. A 48v controller will have parts inside rated to higher voltage than a 36v one.

But if you go for a 72v controller, you will have lots of extra durability that a 48v controller wont. You may be able to find a sensorless controller on ebay, but the high buck one from ebikes-ca is most likely to be one that will last. Lots of other sources for sensorless controllers, but ebikes-ca has a great reputation for service.

Be the pack leader.

Electric Stinger
Electric Stinger's picture

I just bought a kit in California after reading all the forums ,about up voltage and controllere and halls and three phase trouble
Wilderness took off, and not before a newer style 48 volt 50 amp brushless 60 volt rated controller hit the scene
the price, the quality, and the ease is great. the backing by the seller, rapid ship, and attention to the personal things, made my Jump in to the market place a success the first time. I had a 8 wire hub stop running, The Halls can unsolder. and the light gauge wires that were put so tightly together heat up and melt.

the three wire sensor less controller is foolproof... three solid wires and it works by magic with no sensors to fail.
I bought a whole kit less battery's for $239.00 at CampSolutions.com last week .It is super quality I hit the jackpot, since I am afraid of being shorted "Joke"
so for $49.95 you can go with a all black 48 super three phase controller with thumb throttle or if you buy the the whole new kit for 239.00 plus ship you can beat out wilderness price by hundreds. and get the now 09 model with over a thousand watts. the wheel they sent is the new style "wilderness wheel" front I swear

Double your pleasure, double your fun, with double the voltage

dogman
dogman's picture

$239 is a great price, do you get some kind of wholesale deal stinger? I'm looking at it now and only see $299 price. Hightekbikes.com was my current best price, $329, free shipping to ES members. Good kit though, I'm liking mine, but I doubt I'll try 48v on the stock controller. BTW the regen claim is bogas. The motor, all motors regen, but the controller doesn't. Same Aotema motor as WE for sure, and appears to be faster.

Be the pack leader.

dogman
dogman's picture

Killer price on the controller though, once I found it. Worth a try at that price. May be very similar to what you get from ecrazyman. All the vendors seem to be getting either a nice mark up or a bad wholesale price on basic controllers. Real nice ones are worth more, but the basic WE model should be $50.

Be the pack leader.

dogman
dogman's picture

Duhh, now I see the second page, the 230 buck motor is similar to either a golden or a 9 continents motor. The aotema is 299. Nice deals on controllers. Batteries, they don't thrill me,

Be the pack leader.

Electric Stinger
Electric Stinger's picture

The Photo of the $239.00 is deceving I got the newer style silver hub and a 48 volt contoller in black no letters or ID markings It needs over 41 volts to activate.
also I like the fact that I could repair my favorite Stinger for a little more than the whole bike cost last june. $170.00 on a ebay closeout.
these brushless kits are just exactly like the WE kits I mean Exactly
I paid shipping and tax in CA so all toll it was $310

Double your pleasure, double your fun, with double the voltage

dogman
dogman's picture

If the silver hub says AOTEMA on it, its the same as WE. Pic of your motor? The price sounds more like golden motor. They got good deals for sure though.

Be the pack leader.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage