Roth Go Motorboard 2000X Battery Upgrade

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
kidster
Roth Go Motorboard 2000X Battery Upgrade

Hello folks,

First post here.

I have a Roth Go Motorboard 2000X. These ones came with the 14.4v 8Ah NiMh battery pack. It is a little under powered compare to the 1500X that had a 16v 8Ah lead acid.

The newer 2000XR come with Lithium Iron Nano Phosphate batteries in an 18v 4.6Ah pack and the 2000XR+ came with an 18v 8Ah pack (should be 9.2Ah?).

The 2000X and 2000XR/XR+ used the same motor controller electronics so I was thinking of doing a home upgrade to a Lithium Iron Nano Phosphate pack. I noticed that the new Dewalt 36V XRP tool line comes with Lithium Iron Nano Phosphate cells and are much more cost effective than buying individual cells plus the 10 cells are already spot welded in series.

If I was to get a 36V Dewalt Lithium Iron Nano Phosphate pack, split the pack in half and parallel them for an 18V 4.6Ah pack, how could I use the built in cell balancer and/or the 36 volt Dewalt charger? Any good ideas?

Thank you,
Kidster

colin9876
Re: Roth Go Motorboard 2000X Battery Upgrade

there are quite a few other makes of drill that use 18v Lithium packs. My local DIY shop has got a Drill with 2.5ah 18v Lithium batt for £50 -and it comes with 2 batts so you can parrallel them up.

Or - Ive had this idea a while back and want to know if its possible with a series of diodes.;
Say you have a 36v batt powering 2 18v capacitors in series. Is there a way to parrallel up those capacitors with out shorting the battery. Im sure someone has thought of this before????

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

If I was to get a 36V Dewalt Lithium Iron Nano Phosphate pack, split the pack in half and parallel them for an 18V 4.6Ah pack, how could I use the built in cell balancer and/or the 36 volt Dewalt charger? Any good ideas?

The BMS on the DeWalt batteries are designed to operate 10 batteries in series and will not work like you want. I would follow the advice of colin and use some 18-volt packs. This would be the best way for you to get the same batteries without re-engineering the BMS.

Ive had this idea a while back and want to know if its possible with a series of diodes.; Say you have a 36v batt powering 2 18v capacitors in series. Is there a way to parrallel up those capacitors with out shorting the battery. Im sure someone has thought of this before????

The Diode idea has been around for many years to parallel or series batteries and I have heard of no-one who has been able to make it work without destroying the batteries.

Grandpa Chas S.

colin9876
Re: ground breaking idea

Chas, how about this - you know how controllers turn on and off the circuit very quickly to effectively reduce the voltage, similar idea you have a piece of electronics that opens the and closes the circuit on 36v batt powering 2x 18v capacitors.
When the ciruit closes it opens a circuit that takes 18v off in parallel.
Obviously the switching is done quickly but both are never open at the same time, and seemingly 36v goes to 18v!

Are modern transformers done like this or is it still two coils with induced voltages?
Im sure my way would be more efficient??

So whos tried this and why does it destroy the batts? Maybe we can come up with a ground breaking invention?

kidster

Thanks for the reply guys.

I am not looking for Lithium ion or Lithium Polymer, I am looking for Lithium Iron Nano Phosphate cells. Dewalt seems to be the only cordless manufacturer using this new technology. The cells are about $30 each if you buy them separately but you can get a 10 cell 36v Dewalt pack for about $130 on ebay ($150 with charger). This would give me 18v 4.6 amp with an unbelievably ridiculously high “C” rating.

The 5 cell 18v Dewalt packs are over $100 and me being cheap as I am, I just can’t do it.

I was thinking that the BMS/Balancer was charging each of the batteries separately 10 X 3.3 constant voltage/constant current and its total voltage was 36 volts? Am I not understanding balancers (I’m a newbie)?

Thanks,
Kidster

doralevich

Hey All, I'm hoping someone here can help me out, I'm completely new to this, but found the group by doing a Google Search. I just purchased a Go Motorboard 2000X from Craig's List - mint condition, some wear on the tires and 2 batteries. It came with the original battery (which the guy said could still work) and what was supposed to be a brand new battery (never used). When I got home, I charged the "new" one about 8 hours + and got about 30 seconds worth of juice on it until I went from full battery to nothing. I am pretty sure that I charged it correctly. Just plug the battery in and connect the charger (I made sure that the scooter was off), right? I did this a few times throughout the past 2 days with both batteries, but get the same result on both.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

The guy who I bought it from seemed like a good guy and promised me that it worked. Is it possible that the "new battery" having never been used, never took to a charge and will never work? Is there a special way I have to charge these battery's, a sequence, or something that I'm missing.

What is my best bet in fixing this. Your suggestions above are something that I just am not capable of understanding, it all sounds a bit foreign to me (kudos to you guys). I read about upgrades to batteries (more power, longer life etc). Am i just too nice of a guy and took someone's word on it working.

I have had a hard time getting people who know about this stuff and or reaching Roth themselves.

Any help would be appreciated and helpful.

Thank you!
David

doralevich

I hope this finds everyone is well. I have a quick questions about a battery upgrade. You may have seen me post here and there, I'm just a newbie trying to get this 2000X up and running.

After doing much reading, I see that I have a few options in getting a new battery. With your experience, do you have any suggestions/ideas?

Is a 14.4V Lithium Ion battery OK for the scooter? Will it give me enough power? If I get someone to give me 2 14.4V Lithium Ion Battery packs (parallel?) is that more/enough power? I hear people saying that it doesn't go that fast - i guess that would be relative for everyone.

Is getting the 18.5V that much different that the 14.4 (Parallel)?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I may post this question on other board, don't want you guys to think that I'm bombarding, just looking for a good answer.

Thank you..
David

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage