Hyperion balancing charger for lifepo4

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Iccarus
Iccarus's picture
Hyperion balancing charger for lifepo4

I have a hyperion balancing charger that has a setting for lifepo4 chemistry. It can charge 1-6 cell packs. I would like to know if anyone knows if I can use this to bring up my lagging cells in my 3500li. I already have wired four 7pin connectors to my battery pack, dividing my pack into 4 6cell groups.(I'm running 24 cells) How can I charge the six cell groups? Do I disconnect the copper plates between the groups and then simply connect pos and neg charging leads and corresponding 7pin plug. Help! Anybody?

Bill

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture
Re: Hyperion balancing charger for lifepo4

The charger only gos up to 6AH in lifepo4 mode for 6 cells so unless I can find a way around that I don't think this will work. Any ideas?

Bill

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

I think you need to check your charger again I believe you will find it says 6 amps not 6 amp hours. Most chargers are rated in amps not amp hours. Amps is the amount of current flow, Amp Hours is a measurement used on batteries to indicate the amount of storage. These are 2 different measurements but they seem to get confused all the time.

A 6 amp charger can be used to charge a battery pack with 120 amp hours, It will just take a long time to get to a full charge.

If your charger is designed to charge 6 cells then the amp hour rating of the cells will only make a difference in how fast the charger will get the batteries to full charge. The larger the battery amp hour rating the longer it will take.

Grandpa Chas S.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Chas s., On the charger you have to set the mah that the battery is rated for. Mine goes up to 6000 mah. for 6 cell batteries. But I would need to set it at 40,000 mah to be at the right setting, but it doesn't go that high. The charger is rated from .1A~6.0A it is a EOS606i Hyperion. So if I set it to 6000mah it will still charge the cells fully it will just take awhile?

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

What I am trying to do is get my pack to a full SOC. With the stock charger,after a full charge I have most cells between 3.33v to 3.38v but a few as high as 4.28. From what I have read I beleive that I got my batteries in various states of charge. I would like to see them all close to 3.7v is this reasonable?

Bill

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Chas s., On the charger you have to set the mah that the battery is rated for. Mine goes up to 6000 mah. for 6 cell batteries. But I would need to set it at 40,000 mah to be at the right setting, but it doesn't go that high. The charger is rated from .1A~6.0A it is a EOS606i Hyperion. So if I set it to 6000mah it will still charge the cells fully it will just take awhile?

You are correct it will still charge to full charge just take a little longer.

Grandpa Chas S.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Thanks Grandpa! I hope it's ok if I call you that.

Bill

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

It looks like this is going to work to balance the pack. It will take a long time though. I guess you don't have to take the groups out of series to charge them either. I'll post some results when I get them.

Bill

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Bill,

As long as no other charges are connected the you do not need to break down the pack and you can call me Grandpa.

Grandpa Chas S.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

To whom it may concern, The charger I mentioned in the beginning of this thread comes in higher charge rates, up to 10 amps I think. I just happen to have the 6amp version. What I have found is that others who have posted that thier cells were in various states of charge is being further confirmed. A friend who also has a 3500li used his 10amp hyperion to top off his 20 cells. He has the 7pin conectors hooked up also. On one group of five it only took 5hrs to get them all charged at 3.68v.(first time we've seen this) On another group it has taken 15 hrs and still not done the job yet. This seems to confirm what Andy has posted on the my 5000 experience thread about battery SOC. I'll post any performance improvements when I get them. It may be awhile till all the groups are at full charge. We plan to see how well they track once they'er all balanced also.

Bill

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Well my pack is now fully balanced in my 24 cell 3500li and I went from 44mi range to 54mi range. The top speed stayed the same. I went 20mi at full speed to town and 20mi back full speed on 80 degree day and the motor was barely warm to the touch. (I don't have a sensor so can't give temps)The range test I did was @35mph. Flat terrain little wind 5mph or less. 170 lb driver.

Bill-
1492km and running strong!

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage