EVD lithium update

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
electromotion
electromotion's picture
EVD lithium update

Seems like the poor EVD gets little attention on this forum. I have not posted much because it has been a great scooter with very little problems. It does what it was suppose to and I have been pretty happy with it. R Martin is quick to respond and has taken care of all of my part requirements in a timely manner.

The process of insuring and registering the scooter with the Nevada DMV was very easy. The insuring took a little work to educate them with pictures.

When I first got my EVD I had one of the 60AH Lithium cells that was a little stubborn taking a full charge. After I cycled the individual cell a couple of times it has kept pace with the other cells. The 60 AH cells are more robust than the 40 AH cells and do not have the voltage drops under load that you see in the 40 AH cells.

For those that have been having tire balance issues, a product Dynabeads is available that can be run in tube or tubeless tires that have done wonders in my other motorcycles http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm . It can however be a challenge feeding the ceramic beads thru the valve stem.

Like MikeB I had been experiencing the low voltage warning in the cold weather (below 45F). But it never caused an issue with the scooter.

I added two additional cells to the pack and currently have been running a 23cell 60AH pack. It will go faster than I feel comfortable going in a scooter +65mph(GPS).

It would be interesting to find out what if any real difference there is between the EVD and the XM-500Li. To me they look like the same thing with the XM being more exspensive, but I may be wrong. After my early XM3500 experiences I doubt I would buy another X-treme.

Gordon

AndyH
Differences?

Hi Gordon,

How long have you had your bike? How many miles have you ridden so far? And where did you put the extra cells? :)

I'd be happy to compare notes with you if you'd like - I have a 5000Li. I have no doubt that the 5000Li is an EFunD-based bike. I don't have any specs on the motor or controller except that the controller pulls 100A peak from the 21-cell 60Ah TS pack to feed the 5000W motor.

I've seen the same low-voltage blink when cold, and gotten the same sluggish performance at around 40-45 degrees. The battery is happy to work at 80 degrees though!

How are the extra cells affecting range?

Registration, insurance, and plates went well here in South Texas. Geico gave the best insurance rates and I was able to do it all on-line. The inspection was quick and painless, and there were only a couple of double-takes at the tax office when telling them it was electric.

Andy

electromotion
electromotion's picture
Re: Differences?

Hi Gordon,

How long have you had your bike? How many miles have you ridden so far? And where did you put the extra cells? :)

How are the extra cells affecting range?

Andy

Hi Andy. I have had my EVD for 4 months. I have 750 miles on it so far, with about 15 cycles on the batteries. I do not charge the pack after every use, I generally wait until I have 40 to 46 miles on it and then charge. My commute is 12 miles round trip and fairly flat, I am 6'-2" and 250 pounds. I have never used the Thundersky charger, I use the FMA CellPro 10 balancing chargers which charge each cell to 3.8V cells usually settle back down to 3.6V overnight.

The two additional cells are added to the back of the upper pack of 6 cells after moving the pack forward with a little trimming of the plastic. I fabed new straps for each upper pack to accept 4 cells. I think my pack is rotated 90 degrees from your XM orientation. When the weather gets warmer I will probably take 1 cell out of the pack. I originally added the two cells to see what difference in acceleration I would get, I am not looking for more speed as my commuter is on 35 and 45MPH speed limit roads. I have not noticed a change in range as I do not run flat out and have some good stretches of 35mph limits in my commute.

I am interested in finding out more about the XM motor and whether it is a 6 phase motor and controller like the EVD, and what it's true watt rating is. If the XM motor is true 5K I would be interested in swapping out my EVD motor for one. But I imagine this information is a closely gaurded secret.

Gordon

MikeB

Hmm, a motor upgrade would definitely be interesting. I keep reading the XM5000 reports, and it sounds exactly like an EVD with a bigger motor.

I'm at about 675 miles now, but that's with mostly 10-mile commutes & nightly recharge cycles. Gordon, I wonder if it's better to have fewer but deeper recharges or more but shallower recharges? My impression was that shallower would be better, but I'm by no means an expert.

Oh, on the topic of balancing: put some Ride-On or PJM Flat Seal in your tires. These are a thick liquid that's designed to plug leaks, but also has the secondary effect of auto-balancing your tires. There's a limit to how much they can correct, but will smooth out smaller problems nicely.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

I originally added the two cells to see what difference in acceleration I would get, I am not looking for more speed as my commuter is on 35 and 45MPH speed limit roads.
Gordon

Gordon, Theres a post on modifying the controller of a 3500li that might work on your controller as well. It's described in the "I just got my 3500li thread" I did it on my 35ooli and got considerably better accelleration. It involves wicking more solder onto the bridge shunts of the controller. Beware my friend fried his controller trying a fast start from a stop doing this though. It was also way over volted as well though. I wouldn't do it unless you think you really need the extra pickup.

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage