Both cooling fans?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
azvectrix
Both cooling fans?

I'm running on the new firmware--finally. When I set a charging delay and plug in, sometimes both cooling fans will come on, and sometimes just one will. Should I always be getting both fans? Or does the firmware decide it only needs to use one?

Thanks,
Ron

Einstein36uk
Re: Both cooling fans?

I had a firmware update on 30th January and now hear only one fan starting when I plug in. I phoned Vectrix to ask if I should be concerned and was told that both fans start together now.

Dave.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Dave,

Do you feel strong air flow on both sides of the bike when you plug in? There should be airflow just in front of the bottom of the rear shocks coming from both sides of the battery (place your hands right in front of where the shocks mount to the swingarm).

My 08 only sounds like one fan spinning up, and I only get air from the right side. I have an appointment 220 miles away tomorrow (03-04-09) to get it checked on.

I certainly don't mind if both fans sound like one, but one sided airflow has me very concerned about the upcoming summertime heat factor.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

As he said. When charging, the wind must be blowing out strongly at both rear shock absorbers.

azvectrix

I had a firmware update on 30th January and now hear only one fan starting when I plug in. I phoned Vectrix to ask if I should be concerned and was told that both fans start together now.

Dave.

Interesting--I'll have to check the airflow on both sides, as suggested, when I think only one fan has started up.

As far as starting simultaneously is concerned, when I plugged in at home last night, I clearly heard one fan starting after the other. Plugging in at work this morning, I didn't hear a second startup.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I still have last year's firmware and sometimes they start together and sometimes one after another. There's no rule.

azvectrix

I still have last year's firmware and sometimes they start together and sometimes one after another. There's no rule.

Sneaky buggers!

Thanks for the advice...

Einstein36uk

The airflow on my bike is stronger on the right side than the left. I can't tell if the flow felt from the left side is caused by deflected air from the right.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave

Mik
Mik's picture

The airflow on my bike is stronger on the right side than the left. I can't tell if the flow felt from the left side is caused by deflected air from the right.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave

That is normal. You can barely feel the air flow on the left side, but it is there when the impeller is working.

The impellers start up together or in succession, depending on the voltage drop caused by their startup current draw.

It has nothing to do with software update, that was a salesman talking, not a savvy technician!

More details about the impellers here: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8794&start=0

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

moccasin
moccasin's picture

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Ok guys, after a 440 mile round trip and an entire day spent, I got educated today. I hauled my bike back to the dealer for the single fan issue to be checked out. The tech, who is obviously not just a new kid around the toolbox, called Vectrix for advice. The deal is, the new software sets the battery fan(s) up as temperature triggered, even during charging. The single fan you hear immediately upon plugging in is the fan to the charger, and it exhausts out the right side. The other fans won't kick on unless and until the battery is at a certain temperature. That was not the case on the early software models, as the charging process kicked all fans on early on. Vectix did ok disassembly to veryify that all fans were indeed operational and that no plenum blockages were present, and all checked out fine.

I was questioning my lack of left side airflow on an 08 with the latest software, because Harry's 08 with the latest software has both fans running and both exhausts full when he charges, but what I failed to take into account is that even as cold as it is here, Harry rides 15 miles nonstop from work to home, and I only ride 3.5 miles, so the cause of the difference is that my battery hardly gets warm at all, and obviously not warm enough to trip the fan sensor, while his does, and probably stays that way for several hours waiting for him to plug in.

Bottom line, in colder temps, you may only get one fan on initial plug-in. Not to worry unless you have an unusual overheating issue while charging or riding. It is normal also for the charger to shut down at times during the charging process, so don't panic if it shuts down or gets quiet.

We did have a case of a bad fan on here a while back, but that bike had serious overheating symptoms to go with it.

HarryS

That was brave of you to spend your day and 440 miles driving to educate all of us Mike! I will keep an eye on my charging situation. These fans are certainly nothing one likes to mess with. If the batteries get hot its bad news. You are right that my batteries are hot when I get back from work. I always use at least the preprogrammed 30min delay and both fans typically turn on.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

That was brave of you to spend your day and 440 miles driving to educate all of us Mike! You are right that my batteries are hot when I get back from work. I always use at least the preprogrammed 30min delay and both fans typically turn on.

Glad to do it for the cause, my friend! (and even more for my peace of mind! ;-)

Once you get the batteries up to normal operating temps and beyond, they will a lot of that heat for several hours. The delay feature is definately a good thing, and the longer the delay the better when you can afford to do so. I use an Intermatic timer on my wall circuit, so charging doesn't start until 9 p.m. or so, for maximum cool down time after work, but in these cooler recent temps, even an immediate charge doesn't kick on that battery fan with such short trips as mine.

Einstein36uk

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Ok guys, after a 440 mile round trip and an entire day spent, I got educated today. I hauled my bike back to the dealer for the single fan issue to be checked out. The tech, who is obviously not just a new kid around the toolbox, called Vectrix for advice. The deal is, the new software sets the battery fan(s) up as temperature triggered, even during charging. The single fan you hear immediately upon plugging in is the fan to the charger, and it exhausts out the right side. The other fans won't kick on unless and until the battery is at a certain temperature. That was not the case on the early software models, as the charging process kicked all fans on early on......

Thanks for the info. My journeys are short too - typically 3-5 miles so I guess everything is ok here. It's a pity Vectrix don't provide more detailed information with the purchase or upgrade of the bikes. This maybe would avoid these concerns - and in your case, a long round trip.

Dave

tom5007

I had a firmware update on 30th January and now hear only one fan starting ......

Wow, there is a new firmware update out in January 2009? I kind of missed this, Last time we had a fw upgrade (Oct. '08) it came with a lot of helpfull features. The January '09 FW seem to feature a temperture controlled battery fan. Any other "new" features on Jan'09 FW?

Norman

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Yes, thanks Moccasin for the info, thats a long trip 710Km!!! that is like crossing half of Spain!
Ive checked on my fans and they seem to work in the way you say, although they dont all turn on too often. After my dayly round trip of 55km and around 5-6 bars left,when i reach home i plug it in to the timer which doesnt start till 00:00 in the night, by then the batteries are at normal temperature. I think this is a good treatment for the battery or maybe not?

moccasin
moccasin's picture

After my dayly round trip of 55km and around 5-6 bars left,when i reach home i plug it in to the timer which doesnt start till 00:00 in the night, by then the batteries are at normal temperature. I think this is a good treatment for the battery or maybe not?

Yep. It's good battery therapy. It doesn't damage your battery to charge after only thirty minutes or an hour delay, or even immediately, but long term effects of repeatedly charging or riding a hot battery could mean a shorter battery life, which is why the newer software gives the owner a built in option for delay charging. I don't use that feature on my bike, as I already have a timer on the house circuit that charges it.

These bikes require viturally no maintenance at all, so small efforts taken to being kind to the battery seem to at least be a gesture of thanks. :-)

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Wow, there is a new firmware update out in January 2009? I kind of missed this, Last time we had a fw upgrade (Oct. '08) it came with a lot of helpfull features. The January '09 FW seem to feature a temperture controlled battery fan. Any other "new" features on Jan'09 FW?

I think he meant that he got the October update installed in January.

Einstein36uk

Norman,

I don't know how to check which version I have - I bought my bike in December 2008 and it supported the delay charge timer. After 1 month, I had a service and the dealer loaded a software update which he said "wasn't too different to what I already had." I'm guessing it wasn't very different at all!

Does anyone know if there is a way to check it?

tom5007

Norman,

I don't know how to check which version I have - I bought my bike in December 2008 and it supported the delay charge timer. After 1 month, I had a service and the dealer loaded a software update which he said "wasn't too different to what I already had." I'm guessing it wasn't very different at all!

Does anyone know if there is a way to check it?

Well the October version introduced the timer delay function and the option to display voltage and battery temperature (left break + OFF switch). The battery cooling fans will start running immediatey after the bike is plugged in to the grid. The fans keep running until the whole battery charge circle has been completed.

It seems that the January 2009 version does only activate the cooling fans when the batteries exceed a specific temperature margin during the charging process.

At least this is my interpretation from what I read here (I have the Oct '08 version only)

Norman

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Well the October version introduced the timer delay function and the option to display voltage and battery temperature (left break + OFF switch). The battery cooling fans will start running immediatey after the bike is plugged in to the grid. The fans keep running until the whole battery charge circle has been completed.

It seems that the January 2009 version does only activate the cooling fans when the batteries exceed a specific temperature margin during the charging process.

At least this is my interpretation from what I read here (I have the Oct '08 version only)

Norman

Norman, I don't think that is the case, as I picked my new bike up on December 1, of 08, and it hasn't had an update since (unless there was a January release that was out a month earlier). I'm thinking that there is no "January" software, or at least if there is, it did not change the fan behavior.

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Norman, i agree with Moccasin.
I have a Febuary 2009 Vectrix Vx-1 and all the things you mention, happen to my bike exactly as you say, except for the supposed "January 2009 version" fan behavior. That doesnt happen in my bike, fans never turn off while plugged.
It could also be that my bike was sent without this upgrade cause i got it on the 2nd of febuary. Just today i have had to go for the first 1.000km or 1 month check up, maybe i got new software. I will try it tonight and post if there is a difference.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage