New Zapino Mods

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
djkees
djkees's picture
New Zapino Mods

I've completed my first round of mods to my Zapino. Here is a link to photos until we can post in the forums: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2017547&id=1443204200&l=33ed0391ba

I replaced the stock mirrors with wider models, so I could see past my shoulders. Thank you to Robert Dudely for posting the link to heeters:

Someone has replaced their mirrors (may not have been a Zapino, but shouldn't matter) I think he bought Honda Scooter mirrors. They are round and stick out a little further.
Another source is here
http://www.heeters.com/mirrors.shtml

I also added a windshield. I wasn't sure I would like this, but it is such a quiet and comfortable ride now. Especially since I switched off the governor and am going about 40MPH. The speedometer has gone as high as 45, but I'm guessing I've hit 40 max. I have not had a chance to test the speedometer accuracy yet.

The biggest project has been upgrading to bank charging. Skinning the scooter took a while...now I could probably skin the whole thing in 20 minutes! I bought 5 Black & Decker VEC1086BBD from www.invertersrus.com . They had a pretty good price, and were the only supplier I could find that had 5 in stock. I hoped that buying them all from one supplier at the same time would give me a better chance of getting matched chargers. I put quick disconnects on each charger, so I can rotate monthly just in case. I also bought a KWH meter, so I could get some cost per mile info. So far I am averaging about 12 miles per KWH. That is based on converting the ODO KM to Miles. I have not tested the accuracy of the ODO yet. I am also measuring voltage before and after each charge. I will post some data if anyone is interested. I am still using the stock string charger at home and the bank charger at work.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for so much helpful info on setting up bank charging. I chose to go with the original wiring vs simplified. It just made more sense to me, even though I am certain the simplified system works fine.

Next I'm going to remove the front turn signals, since the hit my knees on tight turns. They are also redundant with the signals on either side of the headlight. I am also going to figure out how to remove or dampen the annoying beeper that goes with the turn signals. Graphics, paint, and chrome ideas are also in the works.

More to come!

Dan

Tanner
Tanner's picture
Re: New Zapino Mods

Dan - I looked at your photos and it looks like you did a nice job on your bank charging setup. I like the way that you stacked the chargers vertically. I have the same chargers as you have and think I will do what you did. Did you build the rack yourself or is it a kit for some other purpose?

I have been wanting to replace the stock mirrors for some time now for a better rear view. When I wear my windbreaker jacket the sleeves puff up so much from the wind that I can't see past them with the stock mirrors! Specifically what mirror did you purchase? Is it shown on the heeter.com link you provided? I wasn't sure what the mirror thread size is on the Zapino and that is one of the reasons I didn't order replacement mirrors yet. By the way, your Facebook photos of your Zapino are with the stock mirrors? They photo description says it is the new mirror but they look like the stock mirrors in the photo.

Steve Tanner

djkees
djkees's picture

Thanks Tanner, I built the rack out of some salvaged t-slot stock http://www.tslotparts.com/ . You may be able to find some at an industrial equipment recycler. It is commonly used for safety enclosures, etc. I could ship you the pieces if you are interested. Shipping should be pretty cheap to San Diego. Send me a message if you would like more info.

The mirrors I bought at www.heeters.com are part number K-2300-060. Here is the full description from the web page:

Round Mirror

For Motorcycles, ATV's, Mopeds and Scooters

Description:
Chrome metal 4" round mirror body
Chrome steel 10" stem with 8mm threads
Fits right or left side
Stem is mounted off center on the mirror so the mirror may be rotated to position it farther out if desired
Price (#K-2300-060)-----$16.95 each

The first few pictures on Facebook are from the first day I had the scooter. The only picture with the new mirrors is the one with the windshield. I had the same problem seeing past my arms. The new mirrors work great.

Raydog

I have a question, how do you bypass/remove the governor?
I go to and from work though residential areas, but the last mile is industrial park and 25MPH is a little slow for that area.

Thanks in advance.

Tanner
Tanner's picture

Dan,

How do you like the windshield you added to your Zapino? Does it fully block the wind when cruising along, including your head? I guess it depends on how tall you are. I am considering adding a windshield because when crusing above 25 mph the wind can really hit hard. Have you noticed any difference in traveling range with the windshield because of the aerodynamics?

Where did you get your windshield and how hard was it to install (any modifications needed)?

Thanks,

Steve Tanner

__Tango

Hey djkees, nice job.

How much extra do you think you get from the bank charging? I spoke with a guy from "electric green showroom" in san carlos and he said he didn't think the bank charging is worth it.

I ask because I've got a 2007 zapino i recently purchased. i've been driving it to and from work or a gym almost every day (3.2 to work, 3.8 to the gym). Today, i drove it to the gym and back, was able to charge it for about 45 minutes on the standard string charger, and then rode it to work and back. By the time i got back home this evening (approx 14 mi total for the day), the gauge under full load was well into the yellow. I'd like to ride from my home in Mountain View to a workout I do in Cupertino (probably 18 miles round trip), but am a little afraid i might not make it back.

BTW, When i ride, i have it on the non-governed setting and have it going full throttle for probably 65% of the trip (maxed out at 38.7mph even though the speedometer says 46!) In silicon valley, it's hard to find a way to get from place to place on streets that are posted at <35mph, so i push the throttle as fast as it'll go to not be a road hazard. But i digress...

So, i realize that riding at full throttle will decrease the mileage, but i'm wondering if bank charging will help with the distance between charges.

Also, when you say in your post that you stuck with the "original" wiring vs. simplified, does this mean that you wired have a + and - lead coming off of each battery directly to the molex connector in your picture? I tried reading through the thread about simplified wiring, and honestly, i don't understand batteries and electrical stuff enough to understand half of that conversation. I was wondering why you picked the simple version.

Thanks!

...alex...

PS, are you going to the electric vehicle rally in Palo Alto next week (http://www.eaasv.org/rally.html)?

djkees
djkees's picture

Hi Alex,

Bank charging doesn't give you any more range. The purpose of bank charging is to prolong the life of your batteries. Keeping the batteries balanced puts an even charge across all 5 cells so no individual battery will fry faster. String charging will usually decrease performance on the first and last cell in the string.

I drive about 15 miles each way for my commute and my gauge is about halfway into the yellow (at rest) when I complete each leg. I charge at work and at home. Don't worry about the gauge when your under load. I bottom out in the red sometimes. It is only accurate at rest.

I am a novice with electrical circuitry, but I understand the concepts. I read the simplified posts and could grasp the ideas, but was just more comfortable with standard wiring with a + and - lead for each battery.

I will be at the rally on the 29th. I can't wait to see all the cool stuff. This will be my first time attending. I'll have my Zapino there, and hopefully my bank charger as well. I'll send you a message offline with my cell number so we can meet if you're interested.

Peace,

Dan

djkees
djkees's picture

Hi Steve,

Sorry I never got back to you. I bought a house and got engaged this spring, so life has been a bit crazy. Things are settling down now, so I'm trying to relight my EV passion.

I love my windshield, and I have not noticed any range reduction. I bought the shield at a local scooter store, but you can get the exact same one here: http://www.heeters.com/pa.shtml#windshields I have this one:

Large Universal Scooter Windshield (50)

Description: High Quality & Durable
Fits most scooters with 8 mm mirror threads (10mm adapter available)
Manufactured out of strong .150 Lucite acrylic
Universal mounting kit allows for varying height adjustment to suit rider
Mounts securely to the mirror stanchions with anodized aluminum and powder-coated steel hardware
23" high
22" wide
Clear windshield (#ET-55-9098)-----$110.99
10mm mirror adapter kit with adapters for left & right hand threads (#SS-010Y)-----$14.95
Replacement hardware kit (#K-1400-065)-----$39.95

It was very easy to install, and fits right on the current mirror mounts.

sosha

Hi guys;

I finally installed the new mirrors I ordered on your recommendation from Heeters; they're great! I'm also working on some seat mods, since I can't get both feet down at a stop. The foam in the seat is pretty cheap, and I'm searching for an alternative.

I'm gonna try to go on the 29th. That is if my new batteries can make the trip and back on 1 charge. But that's for another post.

Patty

__Tango

I think they're going to have plugs for people. I'm not sure how that works however (time, etc).

djkees
djkees's picture

I called the number at the bottom of the flyer and asked about charging. They said there would be free charging behind the high school auditorium. I'm going to max out my range to get there, so I sure hope they let me plug in for at least 4 hours...could be an interesting afternoon if I can't get a full charge.

See you guys there!

Dan

Tanner
Tanner's picture

Dan - Thanks for the info on the mirrors and windshield. I bought the mirrors and windshield from heeter.com. I bought the shorter windshield and it does the job and still looks pretty good. The shorter windshield shields my body from the wind up to my neck, and then the partial face sheild I have on my helmut shields the wind from my eyes. I think that both of these modifications made the scooter much more enjoyable and safer to ride.

What is the event you are referring to on 8/29? By the way, I was in the SF Bay Area a week ago and was driving south on El Camino in Belmont and a green Zapino zipped by me going north. I bet there are a lot of Zapino owners in the SF Bay Area. The El Camino would be a good way of getting around the peninsula because of the low speed limit and that it connects a lot of cities. I live in San Diego and isn't easy to get around without getting on a freeway. The biggest problem I have with the Zapino is riding it up a grade. I try to avoid streets with an uphill grade but that isn't always possible. Hills really Zap the life out of my Zapino and make the speedometer swing counter clockwise quickly.

Steve Tanner

__Tango

The event on 8/29 is the Electric Auto Association of Silicon Valley's "Electric Car Rally": http://www.eaasv.org/rally.html

Looks like a couple of zapino riders will be there.

Hope to see more of y'all there. :)

djkees
djkees's picture

Hey Steve, glad the shield and mirrors worked out. They do make the ride more enjoyable. Did you ever get a bank charger going?

As Alex mentioned, the event on the 29th is the annual EV rally in Palo Alto. This will be my first year attending and I am really stoked to see all the vehicles in one place...there may even be a Tesla or 2 (drool) The bay area is very Zapino friendly. There are always back roads to get you where you want to go, and it is relatively flat in the South Bay. I found a 15 mile back route to work that takes the same amount of time as the highway in my car with traffic. Luckily I can charge at work. There is only one small hill, and I agree, it is frustratng. Fortunately there are three lanes, so I just get right and let everyone whiz by.

Tanner
Tanner's picture

Did you ever get a bank charger going?.

Yes, and it was definitely worth the effort and cost. The total project cost including all of the battery chargers was less than $200. But I am certain that it saved my batteries from premature death using the supplied string charger. It doesn't make much sense to me that a company would only supply a string charger when it is known that it will adversely affect the batteries in a short period of time. You mentioned that you string charge and bank charge about 50/50. I only have been bank charging for the last 1200km and I hope it will extend the life of these batteries to 3000km. However, you may find out sooner because it seems that you are putting the mileage on quicker than me. I bought my Zapino in May 2008. Didn't you get yours after that?

Steve Tanner

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage