Gas scooters and NO registration/insurance?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
AceH
Gas scooters and NO registration/insurance?

Hope I'm not posting this in the wrong forum.

Are there any gas scooters, maybe like a little 50cc, that does NOT require registration/insurance?

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: Gas scooters and NO registration/insurance?

What country of the world? In the USA it varies by state, but in most states only mopeds are street legal, and for some dumb reason that means they have to have a set of pedals. So scoots are all illegal, unless they are sporting a set of pedals and a drive linkage, like a chain to the rear wheel. This usually goes for both gas or electric types of scooters. Larger stuff is classed as motorcycle and needs all the leagal paperwork, titles, registration, insurance etc.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

MikeB

I think dogman might be overstating things. Generally, any gas scooter with 50cc engine or under (or equivalent) is not considered a motorcycle, and therefore doesn't require a motorcycle license, registration, and insurance. That means that most of the small scooters fall into a category for moped, scooter, or motor-driven bicycle. While the laws for these most definitely vary by state, I think small scooters without pedals are legal to ride in the majority of states.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

AceH

I'm in the USA. I was thinking about something that LOOKS LIKE the X-Treme XB-600 or X-treme XB-700Li BUT comes in a 50cc gas model that does NOT require registration/insurance.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

What state are you in? These rules vary a LOT by state.

In Michigan you can ride a moped without registration or insurance - but you do need a valid drivers license. There is also provision to allow a 15 year old to ride one with a special restricted license. No helmet is required if you're over 21 (apparently they think your head is hard enough at that point!).

In Michigan a moped is defined as a two wheel vehicle that has a maximum speed of 30 mph on level ground, no more than 2HP and for a gas bike no more than 50cc displacement. It doesn't have to have pedals.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage