Is there an EV watch list anywhere?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Is there an EV watch list anywhere?

Does anyone know of an EV watch list? I.e. a site which presents a highly summarized list that tracks the progress of the various initiatives we see posted on various blogs?

As of now I know of quite a few that I want to follow - just in terms of how far, how fast, how much, style of car and projected availability.

The front runner for me in terms of real world viability is the Detroit Electric e36 which has a 100+ mile range, a 100+ top speed, a $25K price tag, a mid-sized sedan (by Proton) and allegedly available 3Q 2010.

But there's also an all electric Ford Focus supposed to be coming in 2011. There's "project better place" which I think is a Nissan or Renault car. Tesla have now unveiled there sedan. There's also the Volt of course. Then there's Phoenix Motors and ZAP.

It would be cool to be able to keep track of all the possibilities and promises in one easy to follow list.

If there isn't one then perhaps someone out there wants to start one?

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Is there an EV watch list anywhere?

hmmm... interesting idea, one which has been floating around my mind.

I take it you've seen evfinder.com and think it's not enough?

I take it following wwwatts.net doesn't provide enough data? Or in the right form? Also on evcast.com they do some of this tracking but it's informal without a specific chart of current status.

What I gather from this suggestion is a list of prospective EV's, a discussion of each, tracking (recent) news related to each, etc.

MikeB

HybridCars.com has a separate section for different technologies, including pure electric:

http://www.hybridcars.com/electric-car

I don't know how complete they are, or how up-to-date. I see at least one error on their list, indicating that they have missed some updates on at least one vehicle.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I was thinking of a summary list (like WikiPik.org) that would show:

EV Name : Manufacturer : How Far : How Fast : How Much : Style : Number of Occupants : Availability : Maybe other stuff too

You could sort and filter based on the attributes (like wikipik.org). Then if you clicked on an entry it would show you a more detailed page where there might be aggregate RSS feeds, reviews, forums or whatever...

But the front page list should be (a) very concise & (b) easy to update & (c) gets updated regularly (did I mention I like the idea of using WikiPik? ;) )

MikeB's link is an impressive list - but it looks difficult to maintain and it's not concise, sortable or filterable. EVFinder has the same problems - but worse.

Whoever wants to start this - go to it! The URL EVWatch.org is available, do the site well enough and you should be able to generate some google ad money from the traffic...

Or maybe it's not something other folks want as well?

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

It's interesting that you mention wikipik because I'd met with Markus a couple months ago to discuss integrating wikipik into V (and other Drupal sites). But I let some other projects get in front of the queue ahead of that one. I'm sure he thinks I must be blowing him off or something, and that's really not the case, honest, I've just, uh, been trying to juggle multiple ideas .. uh .. sigh.

I just did a little brainstorming on this myself and am thinking fairly near what you suggested, John.

The project needs to involve multiple people sharing the responsibility to track this.

vehicle type categories: big trucks, medium trucks, trains, planes, automobiles, three wheelers, motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, stand-on-scooters, other

(BTW go to http://www.smithelectricvehicles.com/ for a look at some really big EV's that are coming to the U.S.)

Then for a per-vehicle page some data to collect is

• overview
  • known specs
  • tracking delivery, model years, promised delivery, any slips in promised delivery
  • tracking of news stories about vehicle
  • youtube & other online video about the vehicle

I think it could be done wholly within V and not require an external site like wikipik, but there is some value to involving wikipik.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage