XB-600 wanting to add Accessory plugs....

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
sixpax2k9
XB-600 wanting to add Accessory plugs....

I was thinking about adding a few plugs in the front panel of my XB-600 for say... A gps, cell phone charger etc. The question i have is this.... I dont want to really run off the main battery pack (dont want performance or distance to be reduced). Can u add a small battery in the dash to run these and hook in parellel with the DC converter maybe with a diode in line to only allow it to charge and not be discharged from anything else???? Would this be pretty much pointless considering the power of the battery pack?

I would prefer to not have to hook up a separate 12V charger just for the extra battery.

I am pretty good with electronics... just not very knowledgeable on how the charger would affect this and how it would charge the batteries.

I mean i know i could hook these up, just dont know if it is possible to have this battery charged with my existing 60V charger I am using.

If anyone else has any "interesting" mods they have done.... please let me know, I am a modding junkie...

David

antiscab
Re: XB-600 wanting to add Accessory plugs....

adding those accesories wont affect your range (measureably).

the real limiting factor you may encounter is how much power your DC-DC can put out.
you could add a small 12v battery to the 12v side if the DC-DC isnt up to the task. though it is something else that can go wrong.

id first measure how many amps the dc-dc can put out.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Adding a 12v battery to the 12v side of the DC-DC would be assuming the DC-DC acts as a charger. However there are a few issues with that... the charging voltage of a 12v battery is above 13.2 volts, whereas the typical 12v DC-DC puts out exactly 12v. That means the 12v battery would be perpetually partially charged and that is bad bad bad treatment for 12v batteries.

GPS and cell phone charger wouldn't take much power.

captainslug
captainslug's picture

I would prefer to not have to hook up a separate 12V charger just for the extra battery.

Why? That would be a much easier solution.
Just make the 60V charger and 12V charger onboard, then wire them to a 5-15P plug receptacle. To power both chargers you simply have to plug an extension cord into the receptacle.

Just use the battery for your external plug, because having it power anything else would be problematic and would require significant changes to the ignition and brake circuits.
If you want the external plug to only be turned on with the ignition you'll need to control it with a low-amp 12VDC relay powered by the DC-DC converter.

Old_Scoot

Agreed, the kinds of things you are wanting to power are very low draw in comparison to the motor and lights. A solid state DC-DC converter is an easy solution.

sixpax2k9

OK cool, guess I will look into getting another DC-DC converter, or seeing if the stock one can handle it.

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

mf70

Check the voltage out of the DC/DC converter. If it IS 13.5 or so, it would probably work as a float charger for a small extra battery. However, it is actually fairly robust, and I'm sure it has enough "headroom" to power the devices you mention.

Mark

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage