GM/Segway PUMA (Personal Use Mobility and Accessibility Project)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
GM/Segway PUMA (Personal Use Mobility and Accessibility Project)

Had to think a few minutes about where to put this. But, 2 wheels, scooter, hmm, maybe.

Think "segway" but with a two person bench seat, semi-enclosed cockpit, and a turnable steering wheel.

Uh, no kidding. That's really what it is.

This message over on the BugE mailing lists suggests that, heck, it's not that complicated especially if you make it three wheels (so you don't need those expensive computerized balancing algorithms) ... The BugE is most of the way to the equivalence of that vehicle. What the BugE doesn't have is GM behind it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugE_list/message/780

Autoblog Green's coverage is a little weak.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/04/07/gm-and-segways-puma-live-reveal/

C|NET's coverage is a little better .. "A PUMA runs on lithium ion batteries, can reach 35 miles per hour, and can travel up to 35 miles between charges." ..and it includes.. "GM's wireless OnStar communications technology". And this gem: "Imagine small, nimble electric vehicles that know where other moving objects are and avoid running into them. Now, connect those vehicles in an Internet-like web and you can greatly enhance the ability of people to move through cities, find places to park and connect to their social and business networks," Larry Burns, GM's vice president of R&D and strategic planning, said in a statement.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10213863-54.html?tag=mncol;txt

Video:

MikeB
Re: GM/Segway PUMA (Personal Use Mobility and Accessibility ...

This thing has been all over the news sites I follow, but I think it's a doomed idea, except in very limited urban locations.

Here's the problem: it's too wide to be driven like a bicycle, and it's too slow to keep up with fast surface traffic. I could never use one where I live, in the Atlanta suburbs, since I pretty much have to go 45mph around here to be safe. I can ride the roads around here on a bicycle, however, but that's because I'm narrow enough for cars to pass me most of the time (or for me to slip past when they are all stopped).

In New York city, however, it might have a reasonable chance of success. Traffic is generally much slower due to gridlock, and sidewalks are wide to accommodate hordes of pedestrians. It would be very interesting to see a dozen of those things offered for rent at a commuter train station, for example.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: GM/Segway PUMA (Personal Use Mobility and Accessibility ...

What I like about this is the fact that GM is a failing company on the edge of extinction. They know they need to partner on new technology so who do they partner with? Segway. Do you all remember the launch of Segway? How it was going to revolutionize transportation? It hasn't exactly been a roaring success has it?

I kind of see this like a Hail Mary pass at the end of regulation time...

It's a bit sad really! It would be so much better if GM had partnered with Bug-E or Meyer's or some other player...

Oh well.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage