KLD Energy Scooter...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
KLD Energy Scooter...

Story in CNN: Electric scooter hoping to spark eco two-wheelers

Concerns: http://www.kldenergy.com/ and http://kldmotors.com/about.html

Unfortunately the web site doesn't have much data.

The scooter pictured on the CNN article looks familiar like mebbe I've seen something like it while browsing alibaba.com mebbe. Supposedly they put their design effort into the motor, relying on Vietnam's scooter industry to provide the vehicle.

The article is a little confused. They state the max speed of 55 miles/hr and a couple paragraphs later say this is similar to Vectrix's performance. Uh. Someone didn't do their homework.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: KLD Energy Scooter...

The article is a little confused.

Yup, I agree. Unfortunately, it seems quite easy to put together a press release and have that taken as gospel and as the basis for any follow up interview. Not sure I really "blame" KLD as it seems to be how the game is played. I find it a little frustrating though. I wasn't so much concerned with the comparison of 55mph to 62mph (after all they are in the same ball park) it was the second paragraph that I didn't like...

A high price tag, a limited range, sluggish performance and the tendency not to work when they get wet, have meant that electric scooters are a rare sight on the roads.

Hmmm, now there's a self serving segue into an article that pitches your product as the only solution. I'm not so sure the journalist did a lot of independent research to back up that paragraph that he included in a prominent position in his article...

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

evfinder

I just came across the info on KLD via EV world and did some digging around. Their web site really sucks but if you did deep enoudh you can find some specs.

Apparently they have two models, the E140 that tops out at 40mph and the E165 that tops out at 65mph. The E165 is the one that is supposed to be equivalent to the Vectrix. The scooters come with a 72V 2KWhr pack with the option to to to a 4KWhr pack. Reading between the lines it looks like the the 4Kwhr pack is really a second 2KwHr pack in parrellel to the first.

Range is quoted at 50 miles for the E40 and 100 miles for the E65 but the kicker here is the fine print that says this is with the second battery pack and speeds of 25mph. Now this really doesn't add up - if the two scooters have the same battery pack then how do they get twice the range from the faster scooter? On the freeway I would expect the E165 with the standard battery pack to be down around 20 - 25 miles of range which puts it quite a bit lower than the Vectix I think.

In the end the web site specs are only that until someone gets to ride the scooter and see how it performs. They are talking about $3K or so which puts it quite a lot cheaper that even an equivalent performace X-Treme or RMartin so if they can get performance close to specs and a reliable scooter then they should have a winner. It wouldn't suprise me though if this wasn't just another junk scooter.

Noel
evfinder.com

scott_alexander

Hey All -

I had to join to respond - since I have some inside knowledge of KLD Energy.

First of all, KLD Energy is for real. Raymond "Ray" Caamano has a number of patents for highly efficient electrical motors. The first motors that he patented are now marketed by "Light Engineering" (see http://www.lt-eng.com/products/motors.html ). Although Ray was the 'brains' behind that company (well, at least the brains behind the motors behind the company), there were some major disagreements and he left.

The motor that KLD uses is similar to ones used by "Light Engineering", and uses laminated amorphous metal core and high-powered magnets (which are now orders of magnitude cheaper than they were). Please see patent 5903082, "Electric motor or generator having laminated amorphous metal core, by Ramon A. Caamano (among others).

There are two different designs of this motor, one uses an Axial air-gap and uses a Radial air-gap. Light engineering uses one motor design, which is the axial air-gap, with a spinning rotor (I believe). The newer motor design, which the KLD electrical motors use, is an axial gap, so it's like a spinning disk within a drum. These high power magnets spun very closely to conductors and induce a current in the laminated amorphous metal (I believe). These are both very efficient electrical motors and have a very wide RPM range. The motor attaches directly to the wheel, and there is no need for a for a transmission, because of the wide operating RPM range of the motor.

Also, Rob Ferber, has just recently joined KLD as the Chief Technology Officer, I believe. Rob was one of the engineers behind Tesla motors and AC Propulsion, and has extensive experience with lithium-ion batteries and electrical controllers (amongst other technologies). Thus, KLD is a very small company, but is the real McCoy, with real talent and real products.

Sincerely,
Scott Alexander
alexander_scott [at] yahoo.com

leanm
leanm's picture

Sadly when I contacted KLD in 2009 they replied that they had no intention of bringing their scooter/motor technology to Europe/UK. Of course, I guess if someone was to develop a new frame to take their motor they may change their mind.

LeanMachines

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage