Schwinn s750 freewheel conversion

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
BeginnerThought
Schwinn s750 freewheel conversion

Does anoyone have any information in regards to converting an S750 rear hub to freewheel? It is the same hub used on models from the s180 to the s750. All of these run on a chain drive, atleast up to the 2005 models. My question is about the hub itself, as the sprocket appears to be pressed into the hub. I have another rear hub from a boreem that is freewheel, but the sprocket bolts on to the hub. Since I have multiple s750's and s600's (and other models for parts yaay craigslist!) I wanted to convert the existing hubs rather than replace them. Any thoughts?

Thanks

e-doggies
e-doggies's picture
Re: Schwinn s750 freewheel conversion

Stock Currie rear sprockets are threaded and screw onto the aluminum hub with a right-hand thread. The torque from the motor keeps tightening it over time. You will need to hold the wheel solid, and use a "long enough lever" to break the sprocket free and remove it. Hopefully, the threads on the hub will survive. Heating the sprocket with a torch may help to expand the sprocket hub away from the wheel hub. Good luck. Let us know how you resolve this. Use anti-seize compound when you re-assemble.

I've bought quite a few scooters from Craigslist as well. I was very disappointed to find that the S600 and S750 had no roller clutches on the motor like my GT Shockwave did. Just eye-balling my S750, I doubt that a roller clutch would fit with the 3.0" tires. Looks like it may rub. In that case, either use a screw-on freewheel hub and bolt-on sprocket on the rear(like your Boreem wheel), or use 2.25" tires and a roller clutch on the motor. My Lashout and GT Shockwave both have roller clutches and they cccccccoooooooaaaaaaaasssssssssttttttttt practically uphill...

A rear freewheel makes more sense to me, since it eliminates the drag and wear on the chain as well, and offers more choices for gear ratios by simply changing the motor sprocket and readjusting the chain. If you change any sprockets, make sure they are perfectly aligned or it will throw the chain, or wear it excessively.

Harlow

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage