Heinzman

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
rad
Heinzman

New to the forum. Apoligize if this has been covered before.

I currently have a EV Global ebike, 24 volts, Heinzman motor. Extremely underpowered, but usefull as an assist.

The bike has ~6500 miles on it. The top speed is down 20%, along with less power from what it used to be. Range does not seem to be affected, although I haven't taken it on a long ride for a while.

What are the symptoms of brushes wearing out on a hub motor? Is this typical mileage?

The dealer cannot get brushes and wants $500 for a new rear wheel and motor, so that ain't gonna happen.

I plan on upgrading it to 48v with a new motor in the future.

Thanks,

rad

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Heinzman

Could be brushes but that's also the symptom of an old battery. Brushes are made from a soft conductive material that slowly wears away and whose job is conducting electricity between the moving and nonmoving part of the motor. So of course if the brushes are worn away or if there is a buildup of brush dust inside the motor it can diminish the effectiveness.

Is the motor openable? I wroteup some time ago the process for cleaning a different kind of hub motor:- http://www.7gen.com/book/my-ev-projects/cleaning-evt-hub-motor/701

There are of course plenty of alternate hub motor kits that might drop into place ...

dogman
dogman's picture

I agree, more likely the batteries than the motor itself. 6500 miles, wow! You can easily replace the motor inside the hub, but getting at the brushes in the motor is a real pain. I wouldn't do it untill the motor is nonfunctional. Occasionaly on ebay, some 24 and 36v motors go on sale for around $350, just the motor, not the wheel and outer hub. You might get one when they pop up next.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

garygid

Why are hub motors not designed so that the brushes are easily replaceable through a few small access ports (while the motor is still in place)?

Is it just to save a few dollars in manufacturing that they make the motor essentially unservicable?

Are there typically 6 brushes?

Cheers, Gary
XM-5000Li, wired for cell voltage measuring and logging.

rad

Don't think it is the batteries. I have two battery packs, one with 3000 miles, the other with 1000 miles. Similar performance with either.

Could be brake dust. reikiman, I saw your pictures. I had the side cover off the hub once, but the motor itself inside was pressed on and could not get it off. The dealer, E-lectricwheels.com has replacement rear wheel assemblies, but said that brushes were never available from Heinzman. A neighbor suggested an electric shop that could "find some brushes that would work". At some point I may say what the heck.

If I have to put any money into it, I would like to put the second battery pack on the rear rack, wire them together and get a new 48 volt controller and motor.

Rad

gmouchawar

There are few threads about not overvolting these motors on:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9915
If you are going to 48V, I would only do it with a 36V motor and not the 24V.
Ian has some experience with that setup and it seems to still be going strong.
I have a few parts for these including motors, PM me if you are interested.

rad

If I went to 48 volts, I would use a new motor/controller made for 48 volts.

rad

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage