Updates on Craig Vetter's fuel efficiency quest

No replies
reikiman
reikiman's picture

I've been following Craig Vetter kinda loosely for awhile. He had long ago done a fuel efficiency competition with motorcycles on regular roads, the winner of the competition after 3 yrs achieved 470 miles/gallon. They relied on efficient streamlining. The reason I'm interested is to make the most of the electrons on an EV. Craig has been focused on a slightly different goal, a "Freedom Machine" that gets over 100 miles/gallon and can carry significant cargo (e.g. groceries) relying on efficient two-wheelers as the base vehicle.

He had started with a Honda Helix, stripping it down, and putting on a fairing. He spent nearly a year on this and came up with a fairly decent shape. I just read a test he did with his Son, his Son riding an unmodified Honda Helix and he riding the streamlined version. His Son was barely able to maintain 65 miles/hr at full throttle while he easily could do so at partial throttle and for him full throttle was 75 miles/hr. Pretty good but but not meeting the goal.

It seems recently he started rethinking the base vehicle and is asking for input. Seems the Helix wasn't quite sturdy enough.

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470MPG/Last%20Vetter%20Fairing%20P26.html

- David Herron, Green Transportation Examiner, Green Transportation Info, The Long Tail Pipe, Electric Race News, davidherron.com, 7gen.com, What is Reiki
- Charger bike (rebuilt), Electrified Electra Townie, 1971 Karmann Ghia

Who Killed the Electric Car? Essential documentary explaining what happened the last time electric cars were killed
Build Your Own Electric Vehicle You need this book if you want to build your own EV
Revenge of the Electric Car The electric car is not only back from the dead, it's inevitable
Build Your Own Electric Vehicle You need this book if you want to build your own EV
Customize This