Gruber Assist - anybody seen one?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Gruber Assist - anybody seen one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmPUze3WBTw&feature=player_embedded

Just came across this so all I have to go by is the video. It is an intriguing idea but I don't think I would like this design.

It appears to be a pedelec design - no throttle, so therefore the system has to be detecting when you pedal and adds power to your pedaling.

The conversion kit costs $2,500 and is only 200 watts. Yup, you read that right.

The motor and controller slip into the seat tube, and it directly drives the bottom bracket. This gives a stealth factor in that the motor is completely hidden within the bike frame. The battery pack is to be slipped into saddlebags.

The video shows that when the motor spins the pedals crank for you. Ergo I think the motor cannot spin while you relax your legs. Which is why I think it's a pedelec design (pedelec's do not have a throttle).

I have experienced a bicycle where the motor spins the cranks for you. This happened on my Charger bicycle early in my process of rebuilding it. The Charger bike is also a pedelec design but I screwed up the controller and replaced it with a normal controller and throttle. On that first go-around of rebuilding the charger bike, the controller spun the motor which drove the wheel which..drove the pedals. It was very unpleasant to ride because you couldn't rest your legs and let the motor do the wheel for you.

However if I'm right that this is a pedelec - then the controller will detect your pedaling and only add power during the moments you're pedaling, and not at other moments.

Except in the video the narrator said something about power continuing for 3 seconds.. but I'm not sure what he meant.

In any case the cost is way beyond reason.

VeloChef
Re: Gruber Assist - anybody seen one?

I saw this device several months ago, and liked it...still do. I'd say, as a cyclist, the idea is well executed, and appears to be well thought out and manufactured.

It's from a tiny company in Austria who's apparently allergic to American litigation (legal issues). That's completely understandable as well. We can be testy.

The kicker is I didn't realize how much it cost until yesterday - $2,500!!!. I'm good at rationalizing, but $12 a watt is a bit much for this woefully underpowered solution. Again, I'm sure they mean well.

The biggest problem for the Greuber in America is not legal, but instead it's way too small for the obesity crisis here. It'll work great in Europe, but here we need at least 750 Watts to haul the grande Amero-butts up the hills.

So, if the prospsective buyer is less than 150 lbs, athletic, and has $2,500 + installation costs (guess @ $150, if you can find a shop to do it), then go for it. Be prepared to work, though this is actuall a good thing for many people (me included).

I can see this system working well for a touring cyclist who could use the slight push up many of the mountains in the world. Amortize the cost over let's say a life of 10,000+ (5yrs) miles, and it's closer to being reasonable.

If the Grueber is reliable, and it's mated with a powerful and lightweight battery, then it has a chance.

Someone needs to lower the price of this great idea to hunderds, instead of thousands...please.

VeloChef

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Gruber Assist - anybody seen one?

FWIW so far as I recall EU electric bicycle laws limit the power to 250 watts.. that is one factor in the small power on this gizmo.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage