Charging with extra battery

4 replies [Last post]
Mystify

I am thinking of adding a 5th battery to my xb500. Lots of good guides and tons of reading materials for installation and all that, but I am concerned about something.

They usually say, unplug the 5th battery when charging and to charge it separately. My question is, why? I know that it will probably confuse the bikes charger, but in what way, what would actually happen?

Is there a way that you could setup the 5th battery and still use a single charger?

Cheers
Dave

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
dp
Re: Charging with extra battery

A 48 volt charger will shut off before it charges a 60 volt battery pack

If you want to use a single charger you need to buy a 60 volt charger, not the 48 volt model that comes with the bike.

Mystify

so if I bought and installed a second sla battery, the same that already in it, and then purchased a 60V charger, that'll work. Cool. But I was told that SLA batteries need special stuff in order to charge... so is that true, will any 60v charger work, or do I need something special?

Cheers
Dave

eRick

I added an extra 12v battery to mine and purchased a 60v charger and it works great.
You can get into individual battery charging and all sorts of wiring projects, but I have a little over
1400 miles on my bike (like an xb-508 but in Canada) and I have no battery or charging problems yet.

sixpax2k9

Mystify wrote:

so if I bought and installed a second sla battery, the same that already in it, and then purchased a 60V charger, that'll work. Cool. But I was told that SLA batteries need special stuff in order to charge... so is that true, will any 60v charger work, or do I need something special?

Without going too much into the specifics..... any charger made for SLA batteries will work.
Here is a link to a really nice 60V 3.0A charger that I use. Its nice because you can just use the stock plug to charge all 5 batteries.
http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101156

You CAN use 2 separate chargers without disconnecting the batteries "IF" the chargers are "isolated".
If you dont know what that means and your chargers do NOT say isolated, then I would not chance it.
Incorrect charging can do anything from blowing a couple fuses in the bike to ruining one or both chargers as well as components on the bike.

SLA batteries are pretty much a standard highly used rechargeable battery. Li-ion are the ones that need more "special" stuff to charge.

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
V3 Cycle Analyst for Electric Bikes Ebike Display The Cycle Analyst V3 dashboard with speedometer sensor and magnet is a great addition to any Ebike
Customize This