Should I buy a Vectrix?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gup
Should I buy a Vectrix?

I have been reading about the Vectrix on this forum for some time now and am thinking about getting one since the price is a little more reasonable. I worry, though, about the health of the Vectrix company and about getting the bike serviced. I have no dealer here in Hawai`i and would be shipping it at great expense from the mainland. As Wotnopetrol wrote on 5/17/09, I do not want to be "left with an expensive doorstop ".

I think I could handle any mechanical difficulties but I worry about any electronic ones. Is Vectrix going to be able to help me if something goes wrong with it? Or, can I rely on you, the members of this forum, to come to my rescue with the information I need to keep me on the road? You all seem very knowledgeable and willing to share.

I look forward to your opinions on this subject.

~ Gup

undead
Re: Should I buy a Vectrix?

As for your question - Should you buy a vectrix?

I purchased mine just under a year ago - and love it. However if it was now, I probably would not. The main problem I have is, like you, I am able to repair most of teh aspects of the vehicle - but without the software to maintain it, I am stuffed on a lot of things.

If Vectrix were willing to release a user version for diagnostics, I think that would help get some extra sales from those who are willing to give it go.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Interesting.. islands are perfect for electric vehicles because the limited travel distance on the island converts EV's disadvantage (range) into an advantage. Further I hear fuel prices in Hawai`i are astronomical because it's all shipped in.

Therefore it would seem an ideal place for Vectrix to set up a dealership. Wonder why they didn't do so.

Anyway a consideration is to instead of buying a Vectrix to buy a bike with an open design that's easier to work on. It seems the difficulty with the Vectrix is most of the system control is bound up in software the user can't access. Other electric motorcycle makers are using Alltrax or Kelly controllers whose control software is readily gotten off their web sites.

Wotnopetrol

Yes, mechanical problems I can deal with too, the bike's pretty conventional in many ways.

My other doorstop, not really a doorstop yet as it's still running and parts are at present just about available, with that, at least BMW have released the workshop service manual and its special tools are available for purchase, even the engine management diagnostic stuff, at a price.

We do have a very clever guy who has built a diagnostic plug-in device with an LCD read out which gives out error codes if errors are present. The Vectrix diag software though seems to be extremely unique.

I'm hoping that the Vectrix trained UK mechanics are able to keep their diag equipment, repair manuals etc. and are willing to perhaps earn a little on the side repairing/maintaining our (maybe soon to be obsolete) Vectrixes.

I just saw a TV program about the scandalous behaviour surrounding the EV1 project, and how they were all crushed, and that the only remaining one is in a car museum and how GM would only let them have it if its computers and controllers were trashed first. It's as if many of us want EVs but too many don't

There's big opposition and a certain reluctance here in the UK. The G-Whizz gets slagged off all the time, (well it is ugly) but it does have its uses for urban transport.

A guy asked me, as I was getting on my V the other day how far it could go. I've given up trying to explain that it depends how it's ridden, what weight is being carried etc. they just glaze over. I tell them 40 miles. "Well that's no good is it?" Was the reply. I had to ask him. "How many times do you actually drive 40 miles in one go?" "Not often." He admitted. (This was in central London) So I merely said that I use an ICE bike or car for longer journeys, but the Vectrix for very cheap whipping about town. I even go to a friend's house 30 miles away and charge up there to come home! It was a bit weird the first time I did it I'll admit, when I passed the point of no return! :-)

Simon

AndY1
AndY1's picture

It was a bit weird the first time I did it I'll admit, when I passed the point of no return! :-)

I know the feeling. I've done it a few times so far.

I'll be doing it again on Sunday on a new route, with a climb from 300m to 1100m and distance of 35km, and then it's another 20km on the way down. I will recharge at the 35km - the highest point, but the tricky part will be getting that high with having 35km driven. I hope I make it. I will turn off the main headlight for this occasion and drive no faster that 40km/h and leave all unnecessary baggage at home (disklock,...).

If my calculations are correct, I should consume (230kg(bike) + 90(driver+wearing)) * 10 * 800m / 3600000 = aprox. 0.7kWh for the climb = 3.5 battery bars and 5km/bar = 7 bars. That sums up to 10-11 bars consumed and I should arrive with 6 bars left.

/crosses fingers

I'll post some pics :-)

Wotnopetrol

Good luck Andy, let's hope she makes it!!!!!

:-)

Simon

Brammofan
Brammofan's picture

I'm following this suspense-filled adventure, too. Please let us know how it goes!

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I'm back! The adventure was a complete success!

There was an alternate fuels event in Austria on Friday and Saturday at the Wörthersee and today those vehicles came to Slovenia, Hotel Plesnik, Logarska dolina.
There was an opening of a public charging point for 15 cars, all heavy duty plugs. There were at least 8 cars and my Vectrix charging at the same time. All the electricity to that charging spot comes from Hydro Power station, so it's from a renewable source.

This is a website for the Logarska Dolina, a beautiful Alpine region:
http://www.logarska-dolina.si/ang/index_a.html

//www.logarska-dolina.si/images/priporocamol1.jpg)

While the cars from Austria came from the north, I came from the south. My trip started at 300m above the sea. The highest point of the trip was at 1100m above the sea at about 30km from the start.
It is a 17% climb, but Vectrix came through marvelously, with 9/17 bars of charge left at 1100m. Amazing.

On the other side of the hill, there was also a 17% way down, but regen worked perfectly. Not once did I use manual braking. I could have finish the 55km trip in one charge, but I partially recharged anyway in the outside bar, 20km before the end of the trip.

I fully charged in Logarska Dolina and came back over the same mountain pass. 120km done :-)

Pics coming soon :-)

Brammofan
Brammofan's picture

That's great to hear, Andy. Can't wait to see the pictures.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

1000m - near the top:
//www.shrani.si/t/G/2e/3UCHn3R3/24052009115.jpg)

9 bars left:
//www.shrani.si/t/1S/5z/4Z4iN5T3/24052009116.jpg)

1100m - the top:
//www.shrani.si/t/e/KA/2VrFugDM/24052009117.jpg)

17% downhill:
//www.shrani.si/t/33/10J/3Te1bReF/24052009118.jpg)

//www.shrani.si/t/2b/w1/4D9KIwX8/24052009119.jpg)

A partial recharge on the way down. Not really necessary, but I like to keep my pack fully charged:
//www.shrani.si/t/1I/uP/1INVqvq6/24052009121.jpg)

One of two charging spots for up to 15 electric vehicles at once:
//www.shrani.si/t/k/7R/4h6JJFZZ/24052009123.jpg)

In the back, there are electric cars:
//www.shrani.si/t/x/RT/3E2wXo4U/24052009124.jpg)

Another angle:
//www.shrani.si/t/P/Yy/2Vkyen7t/24052009125.jpg)

Maps of the trip:
//www.shrani.si/t/2k/hw/3vb5cKKK/map1.jpg)

//www.shrani.si/t/3r/CD/44sMdBvj/map2.jpg)

A gallery of the event: http://solarmobility.futuretech.si/Logarska09GAL_SLO.htm

turok
turok's picture

On the other side of the hill, there was also a 17% way down, but regen worked perfectly. Not once did I use manual braking. I could have finish the 55km trip in one charge, but I partially recharged anyway in the outside bar, 20km before the end of the trip.

I wonder:
did you actually gain some bars, regen braking for such a long distance?

(edit= quote)

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Downhill was about 4km long but I was driving/regening slowly not to charge the battery to fast. I gained 1 bar.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage