Help! Need mobility scooter battery wiring advice

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fatdog Haiku
Help! Need mobility scooter battery wiring advice

Greetings. I have a dilemma with a three wheel electric mobility scooter. If I have posted in the wrong topic section please excuse me as I am new here, and please tell me where to re-post.

My problem is that my 82 year old neighbor has decided to change the batteries in his mobility scooter. I advised him to wait but he went ahead and bought four 12volt motorcycle batteries (glass mat type, I sure hope they work for this application) and he has already removed the old batteries. He did not mark anything or take any photos, so he is lost and I'm going to need help to get him back on the road (well, sidewalk, anyway). So, what I know is as follows:

Scooter brand name is "Panterra" the only model I have is "item no. 06028, 500w 3-Wheel".
It is made in China, the distributor, "Nikota" has a non-existent website listed on the manual, nikotausa.com.

The motor is 24 volt, and there are four 12 volt batteries with a toggle switch for using (discharging to the motor) one pair or the other at a time. That is to say, he can drive until the batteries go flat, then flip the switch and drive back home. Plugging in the charger (28-29 volt output, three prong, "Intelligent Charger") charges all four batteries regardless of the switch position.

Where I'm at:
I've Googled this topic from almost every angle, and this site seems to hold more hope for information and help than anything else out there, hands down.

Where the scooter is at:
Most of the wiring is intact, except for the batteries being taken out and one wire pulled loose from the charger socket. I can take pictures, post them on a service and display them here. I have a fair understanding of DC circuits and can read a diagram, but personally I've mostly worked with AC (not counting things like computers). Had I gotten a look at this thing before he made spaghetti out of it, there would not be a problem.

What I'm hoping:
It would be great if someone had a diagram for this type of scooter, but I can work it out if someone can give some tips from another four battery, split discharge system.

Thanks for your time and attention, and any help you can offer.
Ray (aka FatDog)

mattlepperd
mattlepperd's picture
Re: Help! Need mobility scooter battery wiring advice

There is a guy on ebay who sells used wheelchair components. His name is Mike and his phone number is in his auctions. He can help you. Just do an ebay search for 24 volt controllers and he has a bunch.

Mik
Mik's picture

Check if the positive and negative terminals are different sizes. Sometimes that can help narrow it down.

Then, try to draw some sort of diagram of the wiring in front of you. You will probably work it out in the process, otherwise post the diagram and maybe photos and we'll have a look at it for you.

Also check if the charger has some label on it. Is it 12V, 24V or 48V output?

If there is no label, then put a multimeter across the output of the charger, set to DC volts.

Let us know how you went! I'm sure we can work it out.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

sixpax2k9

I would say that it is set up 1 of 3 ways....
#1 the switch is a DPDT (dual pole, dual throw) which means both the + and - of the 24V pack go through it to the motor/controller.
#2 & #3 are pretty much alike in that only ONE, either the + or the - of the battery pack go through the switch.

The problem we have here is that we have no idea if the charging and discharging of the packs goes through and is controlled through the controller. If both the packs and charging wires go directly into the controller, then that is the case and you would most likely need a wiring diagram for it.

If what u say is true, then the charger is a 24V charger, thus charges the 2x 12V batteries in series, and then the 2 packs are in parallel for charging. The only problem there is that to make them NOT in parallel for discharge, there would need to be some kind of a relay in line with the charging wiring. Again, unless it is controlled through the controller.

It would GREATLY help and will probably be NEEDED to at least have a description of the wires available and/or color and number.
Ideally there should be 2 wires for each pack a + and -, and the wire to the receptacle should be aparant where it goes to(look for some solder etc. where it may have broken off of.)

I have no doubt if you post pictures here or even if you follow the wires and where they go to, we can figure this out...

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

sixpax2k9

ooops double posted due to lag....

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

Topic locked

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage