Help!!! On Board Charger Blown

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
dogtagstudio
Help!!! On Board Charger Blown

I just talked to my local tech. Apparently after winterizing my scooter improperly. By improperly I mean letting it sit to long with out charging it. I plugged it in and I heard a loud pop. This loud pop was the charger blowing out. Which is not covered under warranty and cost $2200. What the hell is that!!! That is a 1/3rd of what the bike is worth. Does anyone have any ideas how I should Approach Vectrix with this. Or were I can find the parts that are cheaper.

dogtagstudio
Re: Help!!! On Board Charger Blown

Ok Vectrix will cover the on board charger. My tech miss informed me. So lesson learned on letting it sit to long. Thank You Jesus for the answer to prayer.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

:-)

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Ok Vectrix will cover the on board charger. My tech miss informed me. So lesson learned on letting it sit to long. Thank You Jesus for the answer to prayer.

That's great to hear Dogtag, because you also had an underlying problem. Even if you WERE able to find a open source for a charger, it would blow as soon as you tried to charge that dead battery. I'm interested to see what they have to do to bring your battery up to charger acceptance level, or if they also have to replace the entire battery pack.

This is of considerable concern to me should an event occur in our future ownership where the bike has to sit for extended periods of non use where it can't be charged due to an unavailable part, such as a blown a charger. If I should have to pay 2200 for a new charger, and FINDING one takes me four months, then I may have to replace a battery pack as well, in which case, it is no longer cost effective to repair the bike. Just stuff we gotta think about if the company shuts its doors.

PJD
PJD's picture

Any battery pack that self-discharges so fast that it can't sit for a few months and then "blows a charger" if it is then charged, should NEVER have gone on the market.

I've messed with a few chargers and battery chemistrys, and I can't for the life me see how a letting the pack sit for a few months would have anything to do with causing charger damage.

Mik
Mik's picture

I'm interested to see what they have to do to bring your battery up to charger acceptance level, or if they also have to replace the entire battery pack.

That would be a welcome change if they started to tell us what exactly they are doing!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

jethro

The charger blowing had nothing to do with the storage of your Vectrix. You would have to put it away at less than 120v then leave it without charging for several months for the the charger not to be able to recover it. A 120v charger will charge the battery to a level that the Vectrix charger can then do its job.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage