Blast From the Past - "Currie Scoot-E" - Help?

5 replies [Last post]
du315h0k
du315h0k's picture

Hey all, new to the group. Came here from the Zappy Yahoo Group.
I recently purchased an old Currie Scoot-E from Craigslist for $35,
and was wondering if anyone had any technical specs on it?
I can't find any info online... Currie Customer Service is a joke when you have a model that's about 9 years old. This is my first E-Scoot...

I believe it has a brushed/finned motor, but I don't know what wattage. I am also looking for tips on replacing the 3-wire plug thumb throttle. All the parts stores I've found online are out-of-stock for 3-wires. I was thinking of just wiring in another potentiometer, but haven't yet. It has a chain-drive, not direct drive, and I don't think it freewheels. I also can't find a controller in it, just a fuse, but no controller. All the throttles I've looked at, even the out-of-stock 3-wires, seem to require a controller between the throttle & motor.

Before the throttle broke, it seemed to be running fairly well.
Top speed I'd guess is somewhere between 12-15mph, longest trip I've taken since getting everything together was about 5-6 miles, and it
still had plenty of juice left.
Since I've gotten it, I replaced the 10Ah batteries with some Rhino 12Ah ones, welded a bicycle seatpost on it, (it was a stand-on scoot),
fabricated a new battery cover to accomodate the larger batteries,
cut a hole in the rear wheel cover to go over the seatpost, added a kickstand, reflectors, & a small storage box.

Any technical info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here's a photo of what it looked like when I got it:

Here's a photo of what it looks like now, (without a throttle):

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
du315h0k
du315h0k's picture
Re: Blast From the Past - "Currie Scoot-E" - Help?

I ended up wiring in another potentiometer from a Volume Control as a stopgap measure until I can locate a new throttle assembly. I wired it in exactly like the pot in the original throttle housing, and it worked fine. The shaft wasn't long enough, though, so I couldn't house the knob in the original throttle assembly, and ended up just attaching the knob to the handlebars with electrical tape.

I DO NOT, recommend this, though. Aside from looking terrible, the response is slow.
With a traditional throttle you have a spring that "snaps back" to zero throttle if you let go. Using a volume knob, speed is constant, depending on where you set the knob.
Kind of like "Cruise Control", but I could see it being dangerous if you have to decelerate quickly, emergency stop, etc.
I don't recommend it, as it makes for a hairy riding experience.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

https://www.electricscooterparts.com/ appears to have the throttle you need.

- David Herron, Green Transportation Examiner, Green Transportation Info, The Long Tail Pipe, Electric Race News, davidherron.com, 7gen.com, What is Reiki
- Charger bike (rebuilt), Electrified Electra Townie, 1971 Karmann Ghia

xcentric1

You need a 5k ohm throttle. It is possible to get a replacement potentiometer for it, although having found the same as you (that Currie is only interested in supporting current models) I just got a new one for mine. On the bright side, so long as you make certain to get the correct rotation, the surplus 300w/400w Kollmorgen motors are also compatible with this throttle. Hope that fills in any blanks.

e-doggies
e-doggies's picture

I believe you have a brushless motor with an internal controller. A 5k thumb throttle or full grip (like Magura) seem to run $40-$55. Hall-effect throttle are a lot cheaper, but would not work with your motor.

There may also be a 2-wire connector in the motor cable. If connected to a brake lever with a switch, you could have an "emergency" shut-off of the internal controller, whenever you pull the brake lever.

Algidd

I received a scoot e from a former boss 3 or so years ago just got new batteries for it. the problem is the switch is in the on position with no key, this will cause a consent power draw if I'm correct. Switch is a barrel type like a safe has. Any replacement ideas?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Who Killed the Electric Car? Essential documentary explaining what happened the last time electric cars were killed

Who's new

• AleVectrix
  • Rbourque
  • Hall9000
  • midbay
  • lafree101
Customize This