Help! I think I broke it.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mystify
Help! I think I broke it.

xb500. Took it apart so that I could do a complete bulb to LED replacement and the shunt mod.

Now, I am putting it back together and I have a complete electrical failure.

I measured the voltage coming in on the line from the batteries and it's all good.

I checked the fuse coming off the dc converter and it's good - there is supposed to be another fuse something, but I can't find it to check.

It is possible that I blew something because when I was hooking it back up, one of the controller cable contacted something and there was a spark, and also the shunt came in contact with controller casing when I was putting it back together and there was a small spark... so it's completely possible that I fried the controller. I am prepared to accept this, but I need to make sure it's not something else before I spend the money and order a replacement.

The thing is, I am not sure the symptoms of a controller failure vs something else. Will a damanged controller completely prevent all the electrical from working.

No power is reaching any of the dash components (I check with my multi meter) and no power is getting to the ignition (I think)

Key is on, and none of the dash systems are coming on.

Question: Where is the second fuse? (the one NOT off the dc converter)
Question: Assuming all the fuses are ok, what else should I look at?
Question: If the controller is indeed dead, what normally happens?
Question: Could I have simply hooked the controller up wrong? some of my labels wore off the cables so it's possible I have them miss matched, would this cause an electrical failure?
Question: Does anyone have a link to something to tell me how to properly hook up the xb500 controller back to the bike (I am going to search for this on my own in a moment, but I figured I may as well ask someone may have the answer handy in case I can't find it myself)

Mystify
Re: Help! I think I broke it.

Ok, I found the second fuse and it's ok... so scratch those questions off.

Cheers
Dave

Mystify

ok, found the thread about the xb500 controller wiring, but is the pics posted for the xb600? and if so, is it different from the 500?

Cheers
Dave

misaljo6

hi. in trying to fix my xb600 i had found a post on here where someone had said the wiring is a little different between the 600 and the others. not sure exactly how, i lost where the post was. i am trying to find a simple wiring picture or something. my 600 has no power after i put in a new controller. there was a spark which my husband said that it meant the fuses were fine. I dont think that is correct, so i have been searching things on my own. anyway, just do a quick search, you should find the post i mentioned. hope you get yours back on the road.

jfreeman420

I had a blown controller and it just kept lowing fuses even with the bike off. If it was a short somewhere else the fuses would all e blown. You may just have a disconnected wire, ad ground, or the controller is shot. There is really not much else that can go wrong.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage