controllers for dummies

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
deacon
controllers for dummies

If I use a 350 watt controller (I have it laying around) with a 500watt motor.. Do I get a 350 watt motor output or do I burn up the controller.

tomascg
Re: controllers for dummies

You'll burn it up.

-Tom
www.abqelectriccycles.com

james joule

Hi I'm not so sure it will burn up, I believe it improves efficiency to use a bigger wattage motor than your controller, if the controller is rated 350 watts and the motor 500 watts or more, then it should only send 350 watts to whatever motor is connected and I can't see how the motor could draw more power through the controller to burn it out after all the controllers are made to control the flow of electric, I might be wrong though I'll try and find out for sure, hope this helps, james

antiscab

A lower rated controller will have components on the power stage rated to a lower peak current.
The reaction time of the current limit control is also likely to be slower (slower it is the cheaper it is)

a small motor tends to have a high resistance, and high inductance, than a lower one.
This means, it takes longer for the current to build up in the smaller motor.

If you apply a 350w controller to a 500w motor, either the controller will fail immediately due to the current in the motor rising faster than the controller can control, or it will just work.

Its a bit hit and miss.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage