Plastic panel scuff marks.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Buzzer
Buzzer's picture
Plastic panel scuff marks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing scuff marks, scratches and scrapes from the plastic panels on these bikes? My XB-600 just blew over on our asphalt driveway during a major surprise thunderstorm.

mf70
Re: Plastic panel scuff marks.

They are conventionally painted panels, with a clear gloss coat over the color coat and the decals.

Buzzer
Buzzer's picture

My thought is to use my Dremel tool and use a fine sanding disk to smooth out the roughness and remove the black asphalt that's ground into the scrape. Then paint with an air brush or touch-up paint, if necessary (I don't know what color the plastic is until I sand it a little). Then go over it with a polishing disk to restore the finish. Any other ideas?

Buzzer

There are three kinds of people: Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

sixpax2k9

For best results.... Sand a bit to smooth out the area effected. Use a plastic resin or epoxy, or even something like JB weld (where you mix the blue and yellow putty together) to fill in any divots etc. Then sand again switching to a very fine grit for finished surface.

Another thing you can do if that does not give you the shiny finish you want.... Go to an auto parts store and get a headlight restore kit. They work to fill in very fine scratches in plastic etc. to give a very clear and shiny effect.

hope this helps....

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage