ReGen Activating while coasting

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
rewski
ReGen Activating while coasting

Wondering if anyone else has had this little problem. On my way home from work yesterday, I noticed while I was coasting it felt like the regen braking was intermittently engaging. This was almost unnoticeable, but I realized I was slowing a bit quicker than I normally do while just coasting. Has this happened to anyone before? I rebooted when I got home and it seemed to stop but I will confirm today. Good thing it is still under warrantee...at least for now! Thanks for the advice.

PT-Volt
Re: ReGen Activating while coasting

I had it and a reboot fixed it.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I had it and the throttle needed calibration. If you turn the kill switch to off position, while the bike is on, the speed needle should be between 42-43km/h.

jmap
jmap's picture

That can happen also if you turn on with accelerator out of rest position. A turn off and then on, resolves the problem but don't forget to leave accelerator alone while turning on.

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

hi .yeh thats a too quick start up.
need to be a cupple of seconds slower when moving off as said in my latest blog hope it helps .kev

rewski

I actually thought about the potential of starting it up while the throttle was slightly rotated. It worked like a charm today, it was just a bit hot (mid-90s) so I didn't even use the regen to keep the batts as cool as possible. Thanks for all the quick feedback. It is really amazing how much support there is on this discussion board.

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

hi rewski. with the regen been used.
it will put potentially wasted energy wile breaking and put that as electric back into the scooter but with
loads of use it gets the rear motor hot and.
too the grear box oil too and will heat the batteries quicker as-well
how i overcome this in hot wether i find free wheeling where ever possible .but can be dangerous..
but sometimes it isnt possible so try to read the road. well inadvance and judge the car infront and or.
the traffic lights in the distance . this can save time as and not have too use wasted energy starting the scooter from the start.
as really that where a lot of the vectrix energy is lost from starting. stand still i would guess but i bet with every start wasted energy of aprox 100 yards too 700 yards depends on gradients .
sounds silly but if you add up thats a lots of wasted energy.
so that where vectrix got there figures from i bet a flat road for 68 miles 25 mph ha.
but with really carful riding could be lots of range i have done 44 miles with my 8 stone son on the back with hills. thats not ( hills on the back of the scooter of course as would be too much as hill are bloody heavy ).
tip 1 use regen as and when .
tip 2 use regen as little bit and therfor forward momentum is still kepted.
tip 3 if it is extremally hot u have loads of power left and the wether is really hot i freewheel but if used a little throttle but wouldent make.
scooter go any faster down a slight incline but would kick the fans to suck extra air in and if it was a speed it would be good as cooling would .
work quicker hey presto a really cool battery .kev

RaDy
RaDy's picture

If had the same problem but one of the things that aslo causes this slight regen effect while driving, is the "looseness" of the throttle , as attached to the handelbar. there seem to be some throttles that have more "play" than others and this "play" accelerates or regens depending if it is pushed forward while you are leaning on it in downhill (whithout twist of any form) on pulling in uphill.
I have asked to get mine changed, cause it has too much "play" compared to other Vectrix that i have tried and analysed!
Not a Major problem but better to get fixed.

NJSteve

How do you do a reboot?

X Vectrix

There is a small range of throttle movement about the mechanical neutral position in which the SW will allow the scoot to be enabled. The SW averages a bunch of throttle samples and they must all fall within this neutral zone before enabling. If the average is OK then this average is used as the SW neutral offset setting. So, it is possible to hold the throttle slightly off the mechanical neutral and get the scoot to enable, however when the throttle returns to the mechanical neutral you will get either a forward creeping of the scoot or a regen affect if moving. This small window is necessary so that the scoot doesnt have any big unintentional movement or regen...that is, it forces the throttle to be close to mechanical neutral before enabling. Sometimes the rubber flange of the grip rubs on the throttle housing and prevents the throttle from settling at the mechanical neutral, and you get creeping. Each time you cycle the kill switch a new offset is measured. This offset is what you see displayed on the odo when the kill is off and the left lever is held. It should be at 43+-.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage