Too Heavy For A Car Bike Rack?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bbbashful
Too Heavy For A Car Bike Rack?

I just weighed my old beater Norco MTB with the PL350 BionX and it's a hefty sixty pounds (60Lbs).

Is this too much for your average rear car carrier?

Would bouncing down the road with the bike hanging by the crossbar with a somewhat heavy bike motor in the back hub knock the rear wheel out of position?

GTAluigi
Re: Too Heavy For A Car Bike Rack?

you can always take off the battery and keep it inside the car to reduce weight.

Mine is 50 lb, with my panniers is aprox 55 lb

Bbbashful

Well, I finally have roof racks complete with two bike carriers installed on the car and put the lightest MTB up there yesterday. It looks like the e-bike will be no problem either. I MUST take the battery off so that the clamp on the carrier will grab the bike frame (same spot where the batttery mounts). That's OK. It makes the bike lighter for lifting up onto the roof. With my 400 watt power inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter, I can recharge the battery while driving down the road.

http://www.ebikeriders.com/messages/boards/thread/7380985

Bbbashful

Well, I was told there is no problem carrying my e-bike on the roof racks. Tomorrow I head off for 3 days of camping with the bike. It's a grunt and groan for me to get it up there. Now I have to check the height of the canopies at the drive throughs.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage