1979 Porsche 924 EV now on the road

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
BobD
BobD's picture
1979 Porsche 924 EV now on the road

I finished my second EV conversion last month and got it on the road. The hardest parts? Designing and implementing the battery racks took about 1/3 of my conversion time. The power wiring was easy by comparison, even having to make my own custom-length battery cables. The control wiring required tapping into the old wiring harness but that was quite educational and not too hard when you have a Haines manual. The hardest parts were mechanical, at least for me. Cars are dirty, dusty, greasy things at best when they're this old. Getting the ICE stuff out was messy, hard, and knuckle-busting, especially when working outside (Minnesota) in February. And of course cars are still just cars. The first shakedown cruise was aborted after only 15 miles when we realized that a stuck disc brake was severely lowering the range. All better now. Mileage with our 14.5 kWHr, gel-cell pack, at 55 mph, is only 50. But at 30 mph it goes up to 103, and at 90 mph it slumps to 15. Works well for us and it's quicker than the ICE version. Conversion details and photos are at: http://www.geopathfinder.com/Porsche924.pdf .

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: 1979 Porsche 924 EV now on the road

Nice conversion and nice write up! Thanks for sharing.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

DaveAK

Good stuff!! Thanks for posting.

marcopolo

What a great post!

Congratulations! Now I am not as brave as you with all that snow, but your post inspired me to try to build a EV from a Mazda MX 5. My donor car is an early (1990), ex-rental, structurally sound and body very good, but the engine very tired.

My project will be undertaken on an island in the South Pacific, so cold conditions are not a problem and fortunately nor is the tropical heat extreme.

Although I will have professional help, all suggestion would be very welcome?

marcopolo

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Although I will have professional help, all suggestion would be very welcome?

Check out this conversion by the owner of Elite Power Solutions (who we buy our batteries from): http://www.elitepowersolutions.com/electric_vehicle.html

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage