Changing the batteries of my Zapino

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
tgordi
Changing the batteries of my Zapino

Hi,

I am new to this site so I give some background befoire asking a couple of questions. I have owned a Zapino since mid 2007. I have used it for daily commute to work (12 miles/20 km one way), where I have been able to charge it. I have put about 9200 km (roughly 5800 miles) on it so far. I live on the hills so the batteries have really been working hard to get me up the hills (about a mile ride up) every day. I have practically charged the batteries as soon as I have shut down the scooter.

The batteries seem to be dying out. It now gives me less around 6-8 miles before dying. I took it to the dealer and he estimates the cost for changing the batteries around $600, which sounds quite high (although it is lower than another dealer in Santa Rosa, CA, where ZAP is located). Anyhow, I decided to open the bike and see what batteries there are and if I can change them myself. I dismounted the side parts and also the sit and could see the 6 green batteries. Strangely, I could not remove any. The two sitting directly under the sit look to be free but I just couldn't lift them out. The one if front of them is free but there is not enough space to take it out without first moving the first two. So, what keeps the pair directly under the sit from being lifted out?

The second question is of course what type of the batteries to use and where I can order them. I believe my present batteries are some silicon-lead-acid something. They are, of course, Chinese made. I don't mind using them again, if they cost less than $200 or so.

And my last question is whether there are any lithium ion batteries that can be used with the scooter. Any info on where to buy them and how much they cost is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

TG

JWilly
Re: Changing the batteries of my Zapino

TG,
Go to the download library or do a search for battery replacement. I was new to all this a few years ago and read every post on this site and have replaced my batteries several times(unfortunately) with the help of the posts.
Yours is similar to a XM 2000 or Efun they all seem to have a similar battery placement. You need to break the the seal on #3 in the rear of bike and slide #2 out and then #1 will slide out.
I can give more detail if you like.

Jan

Wilcox Designs
La Mesa, CA 91941
2007 Zapino
EVT-Z20b
solar charged W/ 1Kw
system on garage roof

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging