bears like Leptons

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
queensland
queensland's picture
bears like Leptons

A couple of funny/not-so-funny tales of riding a Lepton in rural Alaska. I've come outside in the morning twice to catch a black bear sniffing around the scooter. It's common knowledge here that bears are attracted to petroleum odors (hydraulic fluids, gas, oils and greases) but that surprised me. Well, maybe it's the red color. A male rufus hummingbird makes a swipe at me each day on the way to work. Two bears and a moose have stepped out in front of me on the road and there's a young bull moose who seems unable to decide if I'm a vehicle to run from or a human to chase off. He stands on the road shoulder thinking about it but I don't stick around to ask. Even if the Lepton could go faster I am reluctant to given the large hairy things waiting to get hit around here. Dogs, otters, coyotes, wolves, porcupines.....

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture
Re: bears like Leptons

and theres me thinking it could be scarey small birds deaf people rabbets getting in the way and not noticing me

marcopolo

Wow! What a great place to live. Mind you, the wildlife 'round where I live, are probably more feral, and unfortunately of the same species.

I think I have the solution for you. I met an Australian Vectrix owner who is a computer /sound engineer and said that he wished his Vectrix could make a more 'cool' sound than the usual operating whine. I arranged for him to get access to a sound engineering facility, and he has produced a small device that converts the EV whine to reproduce the sound of any sort of bike you fancy. (including, Harley-Davidson!)

Such a device may serve to further confuse the wildlife, though be careful of the Bears, some Harley ride look pretty similar and may be startled to see the world smallest and slowest, HD!

marcopolo

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

really i carn't see any probblems with sound ..
as my moto is smooooooooooooooooooth.. and silent
thats the way forward.
as i have been riding ev vehicles for 23 years and got totally use to the silence .
and know ushally in advance that the pedistrion ushally listens but doesn't look .
but as you can imagine with all the miles i have done i try to predict the road and the traffic lights
also not forgetting the silly road user and the odd pedestrian and too the push bikes carn't hear us as
withe the slight brezze of the wind it canncels out any noice that we make on our electric vehicles
but i know this ..
SO REALLY TO SUM IT UP IF YOU ARE NEW TO ELECTRIC YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR WHITES ABOUT YOU ALL THE TIME
really . insurance company.s should relise this and if you have been on the road many years this .
should be an auotmatic privilige to recive extra discount on the insurance .
lets say 5% each year extra .what ya say boys .kev

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Rather than making sound (I too love the silence of the vehicle) why not see this as an opportunity to practice awareness of your surroundings? Safety is always the responsibility of the operator of the vehicle, and when running a vehicle others can't hear it makes you doubly responsible. As they teach us in motorcycle safety training, the primary way to be safe is by being aware of where you are, where you're going, what's going on around you, and how to get out of potentially nasty scrapes.

marcopolo

Hmmmm... Maybe your right. Silence is golden! Or then again, considering the maximum speed of a Lepton, you maybe better off hitching up the Moose?

marcopolo

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

hi mr rikiman. deto hura4 common sense ...
i think. ups no no i no !! that all the advance training in the ambulance service is nothing to .
compaire to riding the electric vehicles and .
its always about predicting the unpredictable and just remembring that its like you are invisible .
i could not count how many times that i have had to make invasive action to avoid hitting some one / thing or just getting out of some ones way.
the evs have a calming nature on my self and i find these theraputik and find my self going the long way to work ..
i know its no as eco as but i think what the hell .theres methad in my madness .as i am destressed when i arive at work.
and in the ambulance with my work college they get stressed when some one cutts us up but . i think what the hell.
i need to look after my self.and not get road rage as my scooter needs me to ride her home .
it sound sad but i don.t car get it ha ha ..kev

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage