Renault appears it will be selling ONLY electric vehicles by 2012 (or so)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Renault appears it will be selling ONLY electric vehicles by 2012 (or so)

This is big enough news for its own thread... extended from http://visforvoltage.org/forum/7165-new-nissan-leaf-electric-car#comment-41001

I came across this article earlier today:
Renaults all-electric show stars It says that at the Frankfurt Auto Show this coming September, that Renault will be showing ONLY electric cars. It will not be showing any liquid fuel burning cars, only electric. It goes on to describe five or so vehicles

• an electric version of new Kangoo (light commercial vehicle) for professionals and fleets;
  • an electric version of a family car, launched first in Israel and then in other countries;
  • in 2012, a full-electric city car measuring less than four meters long and with five seats, ideal for commuting;
  • also in 2012, a new type of urban vehicle;
  • beyond 2012, Renault will continue to extend its electric car range to cover all segments.

I've just written an article:
Renault (and Nissan) aiming to be leaders in electric cars

It's based on information on Renault's web sites...

Renault.com Eco^2 Way http://www.renault.com/en/CAPECO2/Pages/cap-eco2.aspx

Renault Eco^2 http://www.renault-eco2.com/

Z.E. Concept gallery http://www.renault.com/EN/RENAULT-EN-IMAGES/DESIGN-ET-INNOVATION/ZE-CONCEPT/Pages/ze-concept.aspx

All you can see on their websites right now are pictures of the concept car they demonstrated last year. No doubt this year they'll have other vehicles to show, the concrete designs given that their timeline is to begin selling electric vehicles in 2011.

What you can see in the concept car pictures is an underlying design that shares a lot with the Nissan LEAF design.

DaveAK
Re: Renault appears it will be selling ONLY electric ...

I particularly made note of Israel's "rapidly developing EV infrastructure". This is beginning to look like serious stuff.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I particularly made note of Israel's "rapidly developing EV infrastructure". This is beginning to look like serious stuff.

I haven't read the above links - but I presume that the Israel stuff is referring to Shai Agassi "Project Better Place" (PBP) stuff? He's the one who wants to sell EV's like cell phones. Rather than minutes, you buy miles. He even claims that over time, just like the phone companies provide subsidized or free phones PBP would be able to sell subsidized or even free EV's.

I want some of what he's smoking.

Also, I really can't believe that Renault will be selling only EV's in 3 years time. Unless it's some PR slight of hand (like they'll shift all their ICE manufacturing to another entity and Renault will become an EV only marque). Even if it is that - it's good news that they seem to be taking it seriously.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

DaveAK

Well I certainly don't believe everything I read, far from it in fact, but I do think that a competitive market is opening up.

If Renault plan to only show EVs at the next auto show I don't think this means they're ditching ICE, just that they have no new ICE products to showcase. It's a marketing and PR operation for them. Have them stand out from the crowd and get interest in their company, and maybe sell a few extra existing models from the exposure.

R
R's picture

How curious... France has no oil wells and plenty nuclear plants... And we are past peak oil... declining oil production is accelerating fast...
It seems very logic to show only electric vehicles....

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage