Bad Battery Charger!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
dkent
Bad Battery Charger!

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum anyhow, I have a 2007 VX1 that was given to me and I was told it has a bad battery charger. At this point the batteries are totally dead. I was told that a new square plug charger is about $1,500.00 in U.S.A. currency. Is there a cheaper alternative? I’m not sure if there are any other hidden problems with this scooter any thoughts?
Dave

The Laird
Re: Bad Battery Charger!

Hello Dkent,

You actually have two problems. If the batteries are 'dead' by which I hope you mean empty or run down, the Vectrix charger won't work anyway as it requires power from the batteries in order to operate.

There is a remote possibility that the bike has been left standing and the batteries have self discharged to a point where the charger has insufficient power to run. This would certainly give the impression that the charger was /is faulty.

If I were you I would get some charge into the batteries to bring the voltage to at least 125 Volts and then try the charger again. If the charger is still inoperative and assuming that everything else seems to work, then an electronics engineer may be able to locate the cause of failure as it is more likely to be in the basic charger hardware which should be relatively straightforward.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

marylandbob

I sent a message earlier regarding your battery/charger problem, and may be able to assist you. Do you have any electronics skills or test equipment?-Maryland Bob, Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

dkent

I received the scooter from Vectrix with a defective charger (I should have said that the first time), I used the scooter to develop some service information that they wanted. The batteries went dead from sitting. I have had this scooter for about 2 years and it has not moved from the development garage. Any idea on what kind of charger I can use to start the battery charging process. I'm thinking a small charger with low voltage and amperage? I'm a service literature developer not an electrical engineer, but there are people within the building I work at that can assist. I think I will remove the case covers of the battery charger and see if I can see anything burnt. Has anyone had the charger apart? Anything special I should know? I have had this scooter dismantled down to the frame but have not opened any of the components. Any advice is truly appreciated!
Thanks for your time
Dave

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage