got a light shock yesterday!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
turok
turok's picture
got a light shock yesterday!

Hi,

Yesterday I plugged in the bike as usual, and waited for the CP-mode to end to unplug it (I planned to do this on a regular basis, after Mr. Mik's advise, this was the first time).
As I touched the spring to hold up the seat to unplug, I felt a shock.
It didn't feel like it was 220v alternate power or 150v from the batterypack, but I don't have a built-in Volts-meter:-).

I would have to check if the ground in my wall plug is properly connected, but I haven't had this before.

Anyone has?

Maybe it was just a one-time static discharge, but I'm quite scared of getting shocked, and if there's an obvious explanation, I'd prefer to have it sorted out.

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: got a light shock yesterday!

I got a little zap from the Vectrix power chord once when I touched the prongs right after unplugging it.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

tom5007

When charging there is some "voltage" to sense. I have the Oct08 firmware and especially when charging with high amps you can feel this effect. Best sensation I get when touching the front brake disc. I guess with a less than perfect 220V socket you have this issue.

Drew
Drew's picture

Mik,

This would have been a shock from the charge stored in the smoothing capacitors in the power supply for the charger on board the bike. I too have experienced the same. I takes you by surprise doesn't it!

Drew

Drew

Drew
Drew's picture

Turok,

I would check that you have a proper ground (earth) connection right through from your incoming mains to the bike frame. You might be otherwise experiencing a slight mains coupling effect when/if there is no earth. This will charge the bike frame a little like a capacitor - which will discharge via you to ground earth when you touch any frame earth part on the bike. Either that or your mains earth voltage may be floating in your whole house (much worse) but this would tend to mean that you get a shock from water taps as well...

Let us know how you get on.

Drew

Drew

myocardia

I completely agree with Drew, except for the portion about the water taps. In America, we've been using plastic water pipes for decades now, so that couldn't possibly happen, unless it was quite an old house.

Drew
Drew's picture

I completely agree with Drew, except for the portion about the water taps. In America, we've been using plastic water pipes for decades now, so that couldn't possibly happen, unless it was quite an old house.

Ah, yes, I agree. Us Brits are only just moving over to plastic now... everything else here is copper and has to be earthed!

Best wishes,

Drew

Drew

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage