On routing wiring to the headlights & handlebars

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
On routing wiring to the headlights & handlebars

Last night I rode my Lectra over to Sunnyvale for a meeting and while mounting up for the return ride found that the headlight wasn't working. Bleah. The rest of the lights worked (yeah) just not the headlight (bleah). Didn't want to ride home (in the dark) w/o headlights sooo...

First thing I found was the headlights would come on intermittently if I jabbed at this bundle of wires. Hmm..

After a lot of poking around I found one wire had been rubbing against the frame and had been sawed almost all the way through. The metal part of the wire was disconnected and it's the insulation that kept it whole. Occasionally the bits of metal would connect to let the lights get electrons.

With that solution in hand I tried several jury rigged solutions and ended up with something that stabalised the lights for a ride home.

That leads me to thoughts of how best to run the wires to the dashboard/handlebar/lights area ... keeping in mind these wires need to have enough slack to accommodate steering etc.

For the replacement wiring I'm thinking - heat shrink tubing? In other words something on the wires to protect against rubbing. Also of course making sure it has enough slack. For some reason this specific wire had little slack.

MikeB
Re: On routing wiring to the headlights & handlebars

For the replacement wiring I'm thinking - heat shrink tubing? In other words something on the wires to protect against rubbing.

I think spiral wrap is the correct material for that job, it's going to be more abrasion resistant than heat shrink tubing.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

captainslug
captainslug's picture
Re: On routing wiring to the headlights & handlebars

Split-loom tubing is my recommendation.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage