replacement vectrix seat spring

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
israndy
israndy's picture
replacement vectrix seat spring

Didn't find this using the search features of this forum, but I just discovered the brand new Vectrix now has a pinched seat holder spring. Is this a common item that I can get anywhere or is it Vectrix specific and I have to wait for the company to emerge from Bankruptcy to purchase? Any advice on fixing or replacing would be great!

-Randy

clagros
Re: replacement vectrix seat spring

Hi,
Don't worry.
Just get rid of that annoying spring.
I hate it. It doesn't let the seat to be fully open (well, a little bit more) and each time I touch it it traps my hand. I'm going to replace it anyway...
I'll give you mine, for free!

jethro

in the US the spring is a "Seadog" item, any chandler will supply them

israndy
israndy's picture

Wow, so I did find the item by googling and ordered it, perhaps $9 for the broken spring. But what was REALLY cool, I emailed Vectrix-UK with the same question I posted here and he emailed me back that he would get me a price if I would include my address which I replied with. Well I never heard back until today when I got a package with a note "Please find enclosed spring as promised by Steve" "Vectrix -- With Compliments"

What nice guys. Now the seat on my new bike is good as, um... you know. Wonder what I'll do with the one from Seadog when it arrives...

-Randy

R
R's picture

Wow. It seems V-UK are offering superb service! I'm glad we can rely on them to get replacement parts...

turok
turok's picture

Hi,
Don't worry.
Just get rid of that annoying spring.
I hate it. It doesn't let the seat to be fully open (well, a little bit more) and each time I touch it it traps my hand. I'm going to replace it anyway...
I'll give you mine, for free!

I hate that spring too, it has done what it was supposed to do about 20 times or so, and then let me (and the seat) down.
Has anyone found a better solution? even if it's just an idea, I'll fabricate it myself..

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

moccasin
moccasin's picture

My 07 had a weak spring from day one. I just cut a light wooden dowel (about the thickness of a pencil) long enough to hold the seat at it's normal open height with one end slipped into one of the recesses in the base and the other end wedged in the underside of the seatpan. Stored the dowel in the seat storage area.

Thought about trying to do something fancy with a hinged cabinet catch or a retractable stick, but sometimes I catch myself trying to over-engineer the simple stuff! ;-)

My 08 has never had an issue with the spring, but if it ever does, I'll just pull the dowel out of my tool box and put it back into service! ;-)

HubCap

I know that some will criticise me for always being positive about the Vectrix, but I can honestly say my seat spring has worked well for two years!

Keep it shiny side up!

Hubcap

Keep it shiny side up!

winged_racer

Ahhhh seat springs..... Provided they do not have a kink in them somewhere around the mid-point they just go weak. A simple fix is to allow the spring to 'relax'. Grab your Philips screwdriver, open the trunk, support the seat with your arm/shoulder/or what have you and remove the two screws (bottom one first) at the base of the spring. Just before the second screw comes completely loose, hold the bracket with your spare hand and as the screw does come loose you will find the spring will unwind itself. Let it go round to where it is 'happy' then re-attach to the mounting point. There you have it a non-saggy spring which will hold the seat up.

As I said earlier, if there is a kink this won't work as the spring has likely been forced at some point (someone pushing the seat down rather than nudging the spring to the side). I hope this puts some smiles on some faces out there!!

Cheers!!!

Doug Townley
info.DTES [at] gmail.com

(Formerly Vectrix Europe Technical Supervisor)

One door closes, another door opens

Pedelecman

Have one in stock if you can let me know more details - like where to send it? info [at] greentransportsolutions.co.uk

...some of us know what's going on!

turok
turok's picture

Ahhhh seat springs..... Provided they do not have a kink in them somewhere around the mid-point they just go weak. A simple fix is to allow the spring to 'relax'. Grab your Philips screwdriver, open the trunk, support the seat with your arm/shoulder/or what have you and remove the two screws (bottom one first) at the base of the spring. Just before the second screw comes completely loose, hold the bracket with your spare hand and as the screw does come loose you will find the spring will unwind itself. Let it go round to where it is 'happy' then re-attach to the mounting point. There you have it a non-saggy spring which will hold the seat up.

As I said earlier, if there is a kink this won't work as the spring has likely been forced at some point (someone pushing the seat down rather than nudging the spring to the side). I hope this puts some smiles on some faces out there!!

Cheers!!!

I'll certainly try that, it sounds logical!
Cheers m8!

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

I had the same problem with mine after about 8 months and was about to disconnect it to allow the spring to relax. Instead, I gave it a quick shot of WD-40 where the spring attaches to the seat, and that fixed the problem. It's been fine for the last 5 months.

turok
turok's picture

@ Winged racer

I did what you suggested:
I loosened the screws, and the spring turned around twice (full 720°), screwed it back, and it performes as new!

It certainly did bring a big smile on my face; kudos m8!

this should be in the collaborative handbook, if it isn't yet.

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

After putting a big old kink in mine, I was able to replace the original Sea Dog 8-3/4" hatch spring with a 10" spring from West Marine (Model 4914750 from SeaFit).

The trick was the L-shaped lower mounting bracket, which is necessary to extend pass the edge of the trunk lid. I had to grind off the head of the L-bracket, drill a hole in the end, and use a self-tapping screw to hold on the new spring.

Everything seems quite sturdy, and it's nice to have a little more working room now under the trunk hatch.

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Have to say Steve and his UK Care Machine is another of the reasons I've not lost faith with Vectrix. He also arrange to let me exchange the front shocks on my VX1 under warranty. As for the pring, actually, I prefer it - I have three bikes, one with a dampened ram, the VX1 spring and one with nothing. The Vectrix one remains my favourite as it does the job, and providing nobody tries to be silly and PUSH the seat closed (forcing a kink), It'll last as long as the battery pack.....!

- Raymond

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

So what should show up on my doorstep yesterday but a replacement trunk spring, a gift from Dana DeCosta. This guy rocks!

AndY1
AndY1's picture

After 3 years of use, my spring broke at the bottom base, where it hooks around that little stick. Basically, the hook broke away from the spring part. The only thing holding things together is the middle wire.

Is it still possible to get a free spring? ;-)

If not, where can I order one from? The nearest dealer?

israndy
israndy's picture

After 3 years of use, my spring broke at the bottom base, where it hooks around that little stick. Basically, the hook broke away from the spring part. The only thing holding things together is the middle wire.

Is it still possible to get a free spring? ;-)

If not, where can I order one from? The nearest dealer?

The old guard has changed out at Vectrix UK, but I just ordered the spring via boat outfitters, it's a normal seat hatch holder, and as I said earlier, it's like $10. I don't have the link as it has been more than a year, but I do still have my second spring, turns out I didn't need to replace it originally, just needed to rotate the hold down. The new one is still working great.

-Randy

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage