broken vectrix

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
CAVectrix
broken vectrix

My vectrix has ceased to operate and immediately upon plugging it in to charge it, I get flashing temp lamps.

I've let it sit for some time now as it has been non-operational, but seeing as no one around me is really able to service as a result of the collapsing of Vectrix, am I out of options?

I wonder if there is any simple way to "reset" the entire bike's computer system, on the off change it's just a software glitch that could be reset?

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: broken vectrix

Hi,

a more detailed fault description might be needed before anyone can figure out what's wrong, and how it could be fixed.

What parts are still working? The display? Lights? Horn? Motor?
Does it move at all?
How did it stop working?
Gradual decline or sudden loss of function?

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

CAVectrix

Alrighty, a more detailed explanation of symptoms:

When plugging in to charge:
- just before it begins to charge, the "high temp telltale" and "battery telltale" begin flashing and continue to do so as it charges

When trying to ride:
- the "high temp telltale" and "battery telltale" turn on (no flashing) immediately after initial startup
- there is a "bat hot" warning on the Left Status LCD
- the throttle does not respond at all going forward UNLESS full throttle is applied, at which point it engages and lurches forward at full throttle. The motor/transmission (?) makes what I can only describe as a click/thud noise at the time it engages and begins to accelerate.
- the reverse works normally

This initially happened a couple months ago, but I could not get service for it so it has been sitting for a while. I periodically charge it so as to hope the batteries don't die. But just today all of the symptoms listed above are still occurring.

Any help would be appreciated!

marylandbob

It is possible that you have damaged/contaminated/corroded wiring involving your temperature sensors. Perhaps the control board got wet/dirty? Careful visual inspection may reveal the cause, but caution is required, due to hazardous voltage and amperage! Best to have someone with technical skills/knowledge assist, and remember to use an "Irush Current Limiter" when re-connecting the battery if it is disconnected during service/inspection. (A series connected 200 ohm 50 watt wirewound resistor will suffice)Be CAREFUL!---Good luck, bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

CAVectrix

Thanks! Not sure what I'll do at the moment. If it's likely a hardware problem, I'm probably pretty much out of luck. :(

I appreciate the info, though!

winged_racer

Hi, the symptoms you mention indicate a problem likely with the temp control board for the front battery set. A VecTech could have a quick look with the scooterdiag software to confirm that it is not just one sensor or that a cell has gone bad. The cause is usually some moisture gets on the TCB through the holes in the chassis (mentioned in other threads)resulting in a short circuit on the board. Most times the board can be saved by spraying PCB/Flux cleaner and/or Contact cleaner and gently using an old soft toothbrush to dislodge any gunge. Once dry a spray coating of clear laquer can be applied to help prevent the problem from recurring. Sealing the holes mentioned earlier with Duct or Gaffers tape (depending on what part of the world you come from!) They are relatively easy to get to and I strongly recommend all owners do this to their bikes.

Due to the high voltage and possiblity of electric shock or more serious injury, I do not recommend the average owner attempt this repair. A battery lifting tool and Inrush Current Limiter are required to prevent damage to any components and anything metal dropped onto the batteries can cause a fire. So in short (no pun intended) leave it to a trained professional and do not try this at home!!!

Doug Townley
info.DTES [at] gmail.com

(Formerly Vectrix Europe Technical Supervisor)

One door closes, another door opens

CAVectrix

Much appreciation for the responses. Doug, I see you're listed as the technical supervisor for Vectrix Europe. My concern is that there only seem to be two dealerships relatively near where I live (Los Angeles) that sell/service Vectrix motorcycles, I've called both of them and they both say that due to the current condition of the company, they are unable to perform any work on them or (of course) order any parts.

As a result, the Vectrix, which I really enjoyed, has been sitting dormant now for several months. Any thoughts on a way to have it serviced? Especially considering my interest in not voiding the warranty or anything?

turok
turok's picture

You might get no answer from him, since he (and his collegues) dissapeared suddenly from this forum.

But, have a few days of patience, Vectrixcorp(2) is on it's way back.

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage