Newbie question on meters.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
rld@earthlink.net
Newbie question on meters.

Hello,

Not only am I a newbie but I am also a complete neophyte with all things electric. However, I really want to build an electric bike and have commenced the process. Unfortunately, I found this forum after I started.

I’ve purchased a Chinese 48v 1000w rear hub motor and a 48V 20AH LiFePO4 Battery (with EMS and charger) on ebay. Here are links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220466351665&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390084035676&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I now understand the potential perils of buying a non-Ping LiFePO4 battery but, it’s too late.

My question is this: Although I have a multimeter, can anyone recommend a user friendly meter that will help me figure out cell condition, draw, etc. ? I’ve looked at the posts on Watt’s Up and others but it’s not clear which of these are the easiest in terms of hook up..

Any comments would be appreciated.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Newbie question on meters.

I'd be worried the battery pack won't have enough discharge capacity to power that motor. The ebay page says <= 20 amps. On the other hand 1000w / 48v is about 20 amps so maybe it'll be okay. Dunno.

As for meters ... I really really really like the Cycle Analyst.

rld@earthlink.net

I appreciate the info. Since the battery wasn't extremely expensive, I'm not too bumbed. I wait and see what happens once rigged.

I looked up Cycle Analyst as well. For basic functions (using the CA-SA model), it looks like it is a fairly simple install.

Rick

decibel1

I don't know what your battery concern is, but that motor will draw a max of about 25A and an average of much less than that, so you should be ok. I use Watts Up meters on all my bikes, and they are easy to hook up and keep you informed about total battery voltage and how much of the battery's capacity you have used. They do not monitor individual cell voltage, however.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage