Help diagnose this Bionx problem for me.

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
coolio
Help diagnose this Bionx problem for me.

I picked up this Bionx PL350 motor used with about 90 miles. I have an issue where it doesn’t really pedal assist me. It helps out the most on A4, but it’s hit or miss. The same goes for A3, A2, and A1. I’m at a stop and start pedaling and you can see the motor kick in with 2-3 bars lighting up; I can feel the assist. Then I keep pedaling and don’t get any more assist. They should call it “pedal start assist”.

Am I supposed to be pedaling in a granny gear? High tough gear? Mainly been using the granny since I’m carrying more weight.
The previous owner told me that the regen mode came on when you used the back brake, but it wouldn’t come out of it. NYCE wheels told her to disconnect the brake magnet wire.

I’ve tried for it to pedal assist me with the magnet wire attached and unattached and it makes no difference. With it attached it doesn’t even go into regen when I use the back brake. Maybe the magnet is too far away. That’s a secondary problem. I mainly want it to assist me.

The throttle works. Does it ever! But as you know this drains the battery. Also, I haven’t tried it on a big hill just on flat land.
The person that I bought it from gave me the receipt. I wonder if the warranty would apply to me since I’m not the original owner. It’s been less than a year since it was purchased.

Any suggestions, wire checking that I should do?

BTW, I haven't tried any of that code entering etc, but would be willing to do so. I just don't know where to start.

Bbbashful
Re: Help diagnose this Bionx problem for me.

I would check all the electrical connections first and then the alignment of the notch in the rear axle. There's lots of info in this BionX section for alignment of the notch.

ItsElectric

It sound to me that your torque sensor is not detect correctly. Did you install the system yourself or by professional authorize bionx dealer? You can check out the following video at 00:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5evWA1yIDk

It explain the blocker needs to be point downward, that is where the torque sensor is.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

web site: http://us.itselectric.ca
YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/PowerInMotion

coolio

Thanks bashful and itselectric,
I checked the torque sensor as per the video and it is pointed down and sits on the dropout pointed down. Also, made sure that all the connections were fully in. It was professionally installed by nycewheels.

Any other suggestions?

ItsElectric

coolio:

If you able to use throttle without any problem. Are you able use differ level of throttle? slow, mid, fast. If you able get all range of throttle level, that mean you have no problem with the connection. The system is function correctly. And if you having problem with pedal assist, it is almost 95% had to do with torque sensor, and possible 5% with the defected console.

There are no simple instruction to diagnose of my assessment. The only solution I can come up is ask NyceWheels for assistance. You need to change out with a good motor, and test run with the pedal assist. If it works, then it is the torque sensor. If it doesn't work, continue change out the console. This procedure will only take 15 minutes to confirm. But you need able get a motor and console for the test.

Ken

coolio

Ken,
Thanks. This stinks.

Yes. I am able to get slow, mid, fast assistance with the throttle. Do you think they'd want the entire bike? It is a folding bike so it would be doable, but I would like to use it while it's still summer. I'll give them a call next week. I've heard some so-so things about nycewheels and their responsiveness. Will keep you posted.
-joe

coolio

Ken,
Thanks. This stinks.

Yes. I am able to get slow, mid, fast assistance with the throttle. Do you think they'd want the entire bike? It is a folding bike so it would be doable, but I would like to use it while it's still summer. I'll give them a call next week. I've heard some so-so things about nycewheels and their responsiveness. Will keep you posted.
-joe

ItsElectric

Joe:

Is it possible that you can post the picture here. I want to make sure that the axle notch is pointing downward. This is very important for the torque sensor to work correctly.

Yes, you should take the entire bike to bionx service dealer, that way you could avoid missing something. I would be nice to the service dealer, ask them for favor, and offer to pay for the testing, and book appointment with them. If you give the respect to dealer, they should give you the same for return. That I would have done to all my customers.

Good Luck and let us know how it turn out!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
YouTube site: http://youtube.com/PowerInMotion
OnLine store: http://US.ItsElectric.ca

coolio

Here are two pix. The bike is standing upright leaning slightly on the kickstand. The 1st is taken from below the nut. The 2nd is more of a pullaway shot.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzet7ek9/bionx.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzet7ek9/bionx2.JPG

thanks, again, for your help.

bxcycleman

If you can loosen the nutch (the binder that holds the notch) then you can move it one way just a little and your power might come on strong again.
I know this because I had a problem with run-on and tweeked the position of the notch and cured the problem.
If you need further illumination about this prob, get in touch.
bxcycleman

ItsElectric

Joe:

Thank you for the picture. The notch is in correctly position. But I am not sure if it's because the angle of camera, especially the closeup shot. Your wheel doesn't look like all the way in. Can you make sure it is all the way in.

Also, if you use a flat head screw driver try to move the notch (DO NOT force it), say try to move it to point it horizontally. If you can't move it, that is good. If you able to move it, then mean whoever did the installation forgot to tie down the notch, or it just become lose.

That is all I can think of at this time, if you still have same problem, the next step is ask for local dealer help to change out the motor and console to see if the problem goes away.

Ken
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube site: http://youtube.com/PowerInMotion
OnLine store: http://US.ItsElectric.ca

Dennis
Dennis's picture

I know this reply is late...but it's helpful information for all.

Ken you are right, the axle is slipping off the drop out in the first picture provided by Coolio on post#8. I had this happen to me once during a ride when the motor axle slipped off the drop out and damaged the motor wires leaving the motor inoperative. That is the same inoperative PL350 motor I sent you for your friend to tinker with.

Here is a picture of a properly fitted motor axle on a Dahon Mu frame drop out (note the scar on the drop out from the prior mishap when the motor slipped off).
IMG_0619.JPGIMG_0620.JPGIMG_0621.JPG

Make sure your axle nut is torqued properly before each ride! (be careful not to over tighten and strip the threads on the axle, if you are not sure about the proper torque value, see a Bionx dealer or a bicycle mechanic and show him the Bionx manual that came with the kit.) It's a real snug fit on the Mu frame, so it takes a bit of effort to seat the motor axle properly. An install not recommended for someone that does not work on their bicycle regularly.

jim96r

Sorry to here about your problem. I believe I can help with a repair to the battery unit.
Let me know if your are interested.

Jim

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage