'86 VF500 conversion project

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
antrey
antrey's picture
'86 VF500 conversion project

I've started a project to convert a 1986 Honda VF500 to electric drive. I'm documenting my progress on blogger, http://voltagefueled.blogspot.com V is for Voltage has already been a very valuable resource in my initial brainstorming and I'm sure glad you guys are here!

4pics.jpg

WhyAVF500.jpg

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: '86 VF500 conversion project

Welcome, and please keep us informed of your progress. FYI I have linked your blog on both 7gen.com and wwwatts.net ..

pgt400
pgt400's picture

good choice, looks like a great conversion canidate.

antrey
antrey's picture

Thanks for the links to my blog reikiman!

Here's a brief summary of my current goals,

My performance targets are:

• >60mph top speed
  • >= 40mile range

The current components I'm considering using include:

• 72V, 60Ah, 22battery Thundersky LiFePO4 pack
  • E-tek R 19pk horsepower motor
  • Alltrax AXE 7234 motor controller
  • Zivan NG-1 Charger
  • Battery Management System, still looking at various options

I've also purchased two 30 watt solar panels to deploy when parked to add a bit of range. Figuring out the charge controller scheme to charge this pack with the solar panels isn't very straightforward though.

//www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/medium/69_3Volt90AhThunderskyPackInVF500.jpg)
//www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/medium/Etek-RT-72VPerformance.jpg)

R
R's picture

Nice sketchup.
However the battery disposition looks a little chaotic. If you need to modify the lower frame to dispose all batteries suitably distributed, don't hesitate. Where will you place the engine?

__Tango

Hey there.

I'm interested in your progress, since i'm also converting a VF500 to electric. Please keep us updated.

Bob91403

Loose the solar panels. They weigh more, and cost you more energy than they supply. It's just a bad equation. Leave them at home, angle them toward the sun and feel green every time you use them to supply the trickle charge they will give your bike.

greenation
greenation's picture

I recently finished the majority of the conversion of an 85 vf700,I went with an 96 volt AMD motor with 8/55Ah Optima batteries. If you're using LiFePo4, you'll be happy. My bottom end torque is sluggish, but I'll be changing that soon. Glad to hear about your project, how's it going so far?

NF

greenation
greenation's picture

I recently finished the majority of the conversion of an 85 vf700,I went with an 96 volt AMD motor with 8/55Ah Optima batteries. If you're using LiFePo4, you'll be happy. My bottom end torque is sluggish, but I'll be changing that soon. Glad to hear about your project, how's it going so far?

NF

Reid250

I have spent a few months reading in preparation for converting a conventional motorcycle. I have watched many videos and am a little surprised at the noise level of separate motors with chain. I'm very happy with the speed, range and the cost of my XM-3500.

Would someone please explain what is wrong with hub motors in general and this one in particular?

http://www.doingitall.net/EnerTrac/product.php

What is the advantage of a conventional motor and chain?

Thanks;
Reid

__Tango

(damn board...i just typed in a long response, but because i put in a bunch of links to other sites for more information, it got flagged as spam and i lost the whole response...)

Let me try again, in a more abbreviated form...

I'm using the enertrac MH602 motor in my conversion. I'm converting a similar 1985 VF500F but i'm using the enertrac motor + 36 Thundersky 60Ah batteries. I'm looking for the maximum range possible while still having a top speed in the 65-70mph range. By using the hub motor, i can stuff 36 batteries in the frame, whereas with a conventional motor/chain design, i'd have to use valuable space in the frame to mount the motor.

Some other pros to the hub motor are that you don't have to worry about welding a motor mounting plate to the frame. i'm hoping to get away without making any frame modificaitons at all.

some disadvantages to the hub motor are that the motor is around 45 lbs, and is all unsprung weight. depending on your desires for the motorcycle, this may or may not be significant to you. i'm building a commuter bike, so i'm not worried about it.

Also, with a conventional motor/chain/sprocket design, you can change the gear ratio to optimize for acceleration vs. top speed. The single speed hub motor doesn't have that capability (well, you can choose a different tire size for a different wheel circumference, which can get you a different gearing...sort of).

I was in new york in january, and rode the lifan bike that mark (the owner of enertrac) built. the motorcycle was super fun to ride. The hub motor had plenty of oompf to get me and my 200 lbs going, though the acceleration once over 3mph is better than from 0-3 (that first couple of feet require a lot of torque, and this is where the hub motor is sub-optimal).

good luck.

...tango...

__Tango

Following up with some links...

For more info about the enertrac motor, check out: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7718 and also http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=1333

__Tango

And more links...

here's someone who is using the enertrac motor in their Ninja 250 build: http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=1088

Also, i'm using it in my build: http://electriceptor.wordpress.com, and also http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=1452

Good Luck!

Reid250

My days of constantly scraping the pegs are past so un-sprung weight is of no concern. Thank you for all the references. I will ride my little scoot until I can no longer fix it and then build one.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage