Soft Reset on a vectrix

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
R
R's picture
Soft Reset on a vectrix

This night a friend's vectrix suffered a blackout during charging. Altough he still has no electric power avaiable (nobody in the neighbourhood does) the bike is "on" and behaving as if it is charging. It is not responding, there's no way to reset using the key switch. I can imagine that as soon as he receives energy again it will reset, however we don't know when the light will be back. Is there any other way to do a soft reset?

Steve Scott
Re: Soft Reset on a vectrix

I would try disconnecting the charger leads and connectors.

Steve Scott

AndY1
AndY1's picture

That happened to me once. He has to find a live socket and connect it. Then he can disconnect it and it will shut down.

jmap
jmap's picture

This is an incredible BUG!

R
R's picture

Thankyou for all the answers.
He managed to unplug one of the sockets of the charger, and the bike rebooted succesfully.

Mik
Mik's picture

Thankyou for all the answers.
He managed to unplug one of the sockets of the charger, and the bike rebooted succesfully.

Great!

I have seen it happen several times that the charger gets confused due to power failure (ahem, caused by me fiddling with the timers etc...); and then the VX-1 hangs in limbo! The only fix is usually to turn the charging power back on, that seems to affect some fundamental change in the software and reboots it all.

When the grid power goes out at the wrong time, that fix will obviously not work.

Good to know that unplugging the power connectors to the charger can have a similarly beneficial effect!

I think it is becoming ever more obvious that the VX-1 is not a scooter built around an expensive battery pack, but a scooter built around a complex charger.

The charger is the heart of the beast; or the brain; it integrates with just about every other system and if it "hangs", the scooter stops dead in it's tracks. The lights are on, but no-one is home...

I believe it would be extremely difficult to get a VX-1 going without an original charger sitting in the "center" of CANBUS-activity, replying to requests and sending commands to the other parts.

I am sure that this is another one of my half-true hypotheses...

You take your own guess which half might be true, until someone with better insight explains it.

Although some of the many clues which I combine into the conclusion will turn out to be false, I am quite certain of this:

Without (legal) access to the charger source code it will not be possible to upgrade the battery pack or make any significant changes to the VX-1.

With the source code, the charger will probably be totally programmable for any kind of battery or circumstances!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

antiscab

im not so certain the actual source code is necessary.

documentation of the hardware yes, however.

things like processor type, what information other components expect to be available on the CAN bus, what information needs to be sent to the gate drivers on the charger powerstage, etc.

alot of this can be had (alot harder) by reverse engineering.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

Mik
Mik's picture

This thread has been added to the Vectrix Collaborative Handbook, please stay on topic!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

jmap
jmap's picture

Can't this reset be done on a "Vectrix Point" by software?

marsupi
marsupi's picture

Without (legal) access to the charger source code it will not be possible to upgrade the battery pack or make any significant changes to the VX-1.

For once, my hopes are high for the future, with or without Vectrix. Look at what's been done with the Prius... There are plenty of super-qualified folks out there who can figure this CAN business out. unfortunately I'm not one of them.

07 Vectrix, Vego 600 mod.48V 800W, Arcade Alu E-Cycle 24VSachs Hub

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage