Having ALOT of trouble with XB-600 assembly

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
irunweekly
Having ALOT of trouble with XB-600 assembly

Hi there,

I got my XB-600 yesterday, and attempted to assemble it. I think I got the front tire on right, but it was a different story for the trunk and I absolutely can't figure out how to remove the battery, or install the front face. So here are my questions:

1. How do you remove the XB-600 battery, I did notice the key slot on the lower left, and it appears to unlock when I turn it, but when I try to remove it, it'll lift up like 4 inches and won't come up anymore. I tried getting someone to help me and it just wouldn't budge. The only reason I want to remove the battery is because the manual says that you must turn it around and reinstall it, obviously because they wouldn't ship it with the battery installed. I thought maybe it was installed right, and charged it the entire day, it had a green light all the way thru, so I figured it wasn't working, but anyway, after 6 hours of charging I tried turning it on and nothing happened. So then I put the key into the ignition with the charger plugged in, and when I turned the throttle it started, I noticed that on the charger, in addition to the green light, there was a blinking red one, so I figured it might need the key inserted to charge, so I left it charging for another 8 hours over night, and the same thing happened, it would only start if it were plugged in. Any ideas here? Are there any screws I have to remove or something?

2. I can't seem to figure out how to install the trunk, it is really, really unstable when I use the included screws and bolts.

3. i am absolutely stumped in regards to how to install the front face kind of thing, it said to remove 4 screw near the instrument panel to install, but I couldn't even find more than 2 screws.

Okay so my main concern is really the battery, but I would REALLY appreciate any help, thank you.

sixpax2k9
Re: Having ALOT of trouble with XB-600 assembly

when I got my xb600 the locking pin for the battery was jammed and would not unlock properly. Nothing a little screw driver couldnt fix. Just make sure it is unlocked and pull it out of the base, it can sometimes stick pretty well. The cord on yours may be shorter than the one on mine. It should be located at the left rear of the pack, or front right if it is truly reversed. The reason it works with the charger plugged in is because IT is giving the bike power. The battery pack must not be connected, once again, make sure it is unlocked, pull it up a bit, makes sure the cord is unplugged and just PULL till it comes out!!!! The trunk should have 4 spacers to attach to the rear rack that makes it stable. As far as the front shroud, there are about 4-6 screws under the dash panel, some in the front are hard to see and you may need to turn the bike to each side to get at some.

Hope this helps....

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

Buzzer
Buzzer's picture

With my XB-600, the battery pack was already installed correctly, plugged in, and had a charge. At first, I couldn't lift mine more than four inches either, but that's because it was already plugged into the scooter. It's also a tight fit. I got it out by straddling the foot platform, squatting, and lifting straight up. Wiggle a little, if needed. I set the battery pack "kitty corner" on the opening, then I could let go of it and plug or unplug the pack as needed.

Yes, look for 6 screws under the dash panel to remove it. The decorative front piece screws on from the INSIDE of the bike, so the screws won't show.

My cargo container came with a rubber gasket that goes between the frame and the cargo container. Trial and error will let you know when the holes line up for the four screws. It's not a perfect alignment, but when you're done, the four screws and washers should line up with four holes in the cargo container, the rubber gasket, and the frame good enough so they can be tightened up and hold the cargo container securely.

I hear about different versions of the charger. On mine, there's a red light and a green light. The red light is when it's charging. When it's done charging, the red light shuts off and the green light comes on. None of my lights "blink". If the air temperature is 80 degrees or higher, the charger won't shut off, so I time it for four hours and check the charge level with a voltmeter (available from Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc.).

Putting on the front wheel is very straightforward. Mine came with, and only needed, one spacer, which goes on the axle on the OPPOSITE side from the brake assembly.

There have obviously been some redesigns of the bike, and the instructions haven't kept up. But there's plenty of help here. Check through the previous discussions, print out what you might need, and put them into a looseleaf binder for a comprehensive "Owner's Manual". Right now, I'm reviewing my pages for repairing a flat rear tire...

Buzzer

There are three kinds of people: Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

mf70

I'm sure you've gotten the battery out by now, so I won't comment. If you have gotten it 4" up, you will be able to reach the connecting plug.

There is no need to have the key in the ignition while charging the battery.

There have obviously been some redesigns of the bike, and the instructions haven't kept up.

Amen to that! However, the changes have been toward simpler and safer assembly. You're building up "mechanic's Karma" which will help you later on when you get that flat tire, or the mirror vibrates loose.

Have a look at the post I put up a couple of months ago:

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/6832-new-xb-600

You might want to see if your scoot was assembled with the drive chain rubbing against the controller.

Remember to keep looking it over for loosening screws and bolts. Advice given about charging makes sense as long as you are using the stock charger.

Mark

irunweekly

Thanks for your help everyone,

I've managed to figure out the battery problem; there was indeed a screw jammed in the battery compartment, which kept me from removing the battery, and after giving it a nice pull, the loose screw fell and the battery came out, so thank you sixpax2k9.

Thanks for the rubber gasket info Buzzer, I never would have realized that it served any purpose. And mf70 thanks for the article.

Well, that pretty much solved all my problems within a day. I really appreciate all the help.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage