Kelly Motor on XB-600

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
hguido1
Kelly Motor on XB-600

Thought I might purchase a Kelly motor to put on my XB-600. I ordered a 72v controller from ecrazyman already. I thought I could install a 60v Kelly 1000 watt motor and run it with this controller at 72v. I thought of this since there might be a problem running the stock motor and wires. It might not hold up with a 72v 1500 watt controller is what I hear.

My question is the Kelly motor is a 10" wheel. Can you install that on a XB-600 and if so what tires could you put on it?

Also, Would I have to change the front wheel and tires or could I still run the 3.00 x 16 tires?

Finally, If anyone has experience first hand with running ecrazymans 72v controller and the stock motor please post your thoughts. Thank you

mf70
Re: Kelly Motor on XB-600

Well, my 10" wheels on my old YongKang Crown scoot are 16" OD over the tire.

My 16" wheels on my XB600 are 18" OD over the tire.

It looks like you'd be riding "uphill" a bit. OTOH, your acceleration would be noticeably better from the smaller tire diameter, even aside from the higher amp motor.

captainslug
captainslug's picture

The wheels on the XB-600 are 12" rim size. The stock tires are not labeled for the correct size.

Just call Kelly Controller and ask them what the axle dimension on the motor you are interested in to see if it will fit the stock swing arm.

hguido1

Thank you captain, I thought I was going crazy. I measured the wheels and determined that they are 12" as you stated. Very weird about the tires saying 16 x 3.00. So if it does fit then I would have a 10" wheel in back and 12" in front. I think I will buy smaller front wheel then. So the are both 10". Does anyone know if the brake on the rear hub motor can be switched off the one stock motor and used on the new 10" hub motor?

sixpax2k9

only if it is designed for the same size brake assembly. You will need to measure the drum size. Have this known too... If you switch to a 10" motor and wheel... unless you can get a large tire that keeps the OD at about 16", yes you would be riding "uphill", but also... this will KILL your top speed, even with a more powerful controller and motor. You will have a LOT better acceleration but your distance and top speed will probably be lower than it is at 60V.... Just food for thought!!!!

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

hguido1

I guess I am a little confused. What does the term "riding up hill" mean? I understand the term OD to be Overall Diameter around 16" which is the stock tire size diameter now. If this is incorrect please let me know. Lastly, I guess I am not sure as to why I would be going slower in top end speed with the 10" wheel provided it is still around 16" in diameter.

Here is a link to some tires I found already.

http://yhst-69058343476289.stores.yahoo.net/timi3x10s83.html

sixpax2k9

It is physically known that a tire of greater OD will produce a higher top speed at the same RPM of the motor. Whereas a tire of lesser OD will create more torque at the same given RPM. The riding uphill means that if you dont also change the front tire the front of the bike will be higher than the rear. Top speed is calculated by the RPM times the Circumference of the tire providing the drive (roughly with conversions as well). With a smaller OD the circumference is much less producing a lower top speed. If I were you I would try to find a motor with a hub diameter of 12" to match the current size. And the Cheng shin tires posted on this site work quite nicely as replacements.
cheng shin tires

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

mf70

Another issue would be that the side stand and center stand would have different geometries. Something else to think about.

hguido1

Ok, thank you guys. I guess I did understand the terms as I read them. I was going to counter the "riding up hill" with a small front wheel but I did find some tires from maxxis model M6029 that are on a 10" wheel and have a OD of 17.2 inches. That is almost the same diameter I measured on my stock tire and wheels. I think they measure 17" , even though it is a 12" rim and 16 x 3.00 tires. The stamp of the size is all messed up on these stock tires. I think this will probably work. I need to call kelly controller and get some measurements on monday to see. I would like to find a 12" hub motor, that would make everything much easier but I haven't come across any on the internet. All I find are hub motors with a 50 qty per order from china.

If anyone knows were to find an individual 12" hub motor, please let me know.

sixpax2k9

One last thing to consider as well.... If the replacement wheels and tires are LARGER OD than the current ones.. you will need to remove or adjust the mud flap and wheel guards. (sorry couldn't think of the technical term)

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

captainslug
captainslug's picture

I would like to find a 12" hub motor, that would make everything much easier but I haven't come across any on the internet.

There's a "16-inch" hub motor available here for $125 (+ nearly $100 shipping).
http://www.goldenmotor.com/hubmotors/hubmotorIndex.html
Again, the actual rim size for it is 12" if you look at the mechanical drawing which that's the the outside diameter of the rim is 321mm (12.6 inches).

I can't personally recommend the controllers they make. But their motors seem decent enough.

hguido1

Thank you Captain, I did see this website but didn't figure out the measurement of the drawing was a 12" rim. I just read 16" wheel and figured it wouldn't work. Well this makes it easier to switch to the 1000 watt motor. It is rated at 48v, Do you see a problem with going to 72v with the ecrazyman controller or would it make sense to stay at 48v or 60v with my shunt modded controller and this motor.?

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage