on off switch question

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
racekar
on off switch question

I just bought a ampedbike rear ebike kit.

i guess the kit didnt come with an on /off swtich basically you plug the bullet connectors from the battery pos/neg to the pos/neg or the controller but I get a spark everytime which i hear is normal.

My question is , is it ok to just add an on /off switch inbetween the battery and controller?
also what amperage and do i need a fuse also?

im running a 36 volt sla battery pack thanks or is it not recommended. I dont like the sparking everytime i plus it in

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: on off switch question

I just bought a ampedbike rear ebike kit.

i guess the kit didnt come with an on /off swtich basically you plug the bullet connectors from the battery pos/neg to the pos/neg or the controller but I get a spark everytime which i hear is normal.

My question is , is it ok to just add an on /off switch inbetween the battery and controller?
also what amperage and do i need a fuse also?

im running a 36 volt sla battery pack thanks or is it not recommended. I dont like the sparking everytime i plus it in

Doing this would move the spark from the connector to the switch.

The thing is that when the battery-controller connection is made there's a rush of current into the controller to charge up some capacitor ... that's why the spark happens.

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: on off switch question

You could build a simple inrush current limiter.

A switch rated for the amperage your EV draws, and a resistor that slows down the energy that is contained in the initial spark. The "spark" will then take a second or so to charge the capacitors; and therefore you will not notice a spark any more. After the capacitors are charged, you flick the switch to "ON".

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage