Sunbird RAD2GO scotter mod

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Garry7k
Sunbird RAD2GO scotter mod

A friend of my grandfather's gave him 2 Sunbird Rad2Go electric scooters, both fully working, but in an unkept state, dirty and dusty. After the throttle went bad on one, i replaced it with another from the other scooter. After i got everything up and running, it seemed like the little motor was having trouble dragging me and the scooter around. If i gave it some assistance with the pedals, it quickly picked up. What I want to do is replace or modify the motor to improve torque and speed, or just speed. Ive looked at sites that sell motors, but they arent hub motors and i dont know how i would install them to the rad2go scooter.
Can anyone help me with this little problem? possibly some datasheets or manuals for the scooter? The little thing is so nice and almost silent, and if i didnt live surrounded by 45mph streets, id totally ride the little guy to work. I dont want to go 45, just possibly 25, and a little extra power to carry some groceries or other random small objects. Any help with this would be really awesome, as this little scooter just needs a little more power to be just perfect.

Ive got access to some welding equipment, but id rather not try to weld or perform any heavy mods like that, im afraid itll break while in use and impale me brutally.

one side note, I cant really peek at the controller, its been encased with resin in a metal bucket with screw mounts. it comes out fine, yeah, but you cant see or touch anything but metal or resin.

Garry7k
Re: Sunbird RAD2GO scotter mod

anything like dimensions of the wheels and power, stuff like that would be very helpful for resource information.

JamesS
JamesS's picture

Here is all I know about your Sunbird
Specifications:
• Speed: 18 mph
• Range: Battery Power Only - 30 miles (with use of second battery).
• Range: Battery & Petal Power - 45 miles (with use of second battery and pedal assist).
• Motor: 250 watt hub motor. This beltless, chainless hub motor is built right into the rear wheel and is extremely efficient at high RPM. A smart controller protects the motor from overloading.
• Frame: Sturdy reinforced steel frame and a durable ABS plastic body. Dual front and rear suspension.
• Battery: One 36V, 12Ah and one 36V 7Ah quick change sealed lead acid battery. When the main battery runs dry, simply swap it out for the second battery to achieve maximum range. The second battery stores conveniently under the seat. Both batteries are easily removed and can be charged remotely. Both battery compartments are key locked. Average battery life is over 300 charges.
• Drive Train: A power on demand variable speed throttle (motorcycle style). Freewheeling for easy coasting. A chain connects the pedals to the rear wheel.
• Charge Time: 4 - 6 hrs.
• Brakes: Front caliper brakes and a rear band braking system. A brake inhibit safety feature cuts power to the motor when the brakes are triggered.
Dimensions: Length 64 ”, Width at handlebars 25 ”, Width at seat 8”, Height 46 ”, Height at seat 28” ".
• Weight: 99 lbs.
• Carrying Capacity: 250 lbs.
• Tires: 16” x 2.125” pneumatic, puncture resist tires with aluminum rims

Happy scooting,
JamesS

Garry7k

Thanks for the helpful info.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57