Relay for turn on of controller.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
hguido1
Relay for turn on of controller.

My new controller has a separate wire to turn it on. It has 2 main 12ga wires for battery positive and negative and a third small 18ga wire for turn on. It seems that it needs at least 69 volts to turn the controller on. The way my key switch is now wired on xb-600 because of the dc converter and the 72v controller I only have about 60 volts on the key switch. I thought of wiring a relay from the key switch and transfering over 72v from battery to this wire that way everything works from the key switch. My question is can I just use a simple 12vdc automotive relay for this since the current draw from controller is only 65ma on this wire or is the 60 volts from the key switch too much for a 12vdc automotive relay? I would also be transferring 72 volts from the battery through this same relay. Thanks

sixpax2k9
Re: Relay for turn on of controller.

hmmmmmmmm interesting problem.....
I am pretty sure the 60V is too much for a normal 12V relay. You need a relay rated at the Voltage that it will be transferring.
And the turn on voltage needs to be proper as well. IE you can have a 12V relay with a 5V turn on lead. Here is an idea that may help you..... Get a relay rated for the 72V that it will be transferring. If you need a 12V or 5V for the turn on.... find a 5V or 12V lead OFF of the dc converter and run that lead back to the controller. That voltage will only be on when the bike is turned on.

Also, relays are only rated for certain max and rms currents.
I will have to do some research on relays and what voltages etc. can be used on them.

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

sixpax2k9

Obviously wait and see if anyone else knows for sure about using the 12V relay for the 72V transfer.
Although you may need to use 6 12V relays for it. Are you sure it requires the full 72V to turn on?

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3534-30-mph-xtreme-xb-600-60v-modification-instructions?page=1#comment-21095
Thats a link to a post with a 48V relay for about $6.

Also.... powering the ignition/lights/dc-dc converter with 5 batteries and running off of 6 batteries..... I hope you are charging that last battery alone with a 12V charger, as with that wiring status your pack WILL become unbalanced and possibly give you a lot of problems....

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

hguido1

Yes, I could power the relay with 12v after the dc converter. Actually the 10 amp fuse under the bike that comes from the dc converter is 12v. I guess I really need to figure out if you can transfer 72v without buying a special relay. I found a model through digikey that would work. I was hoping to find a relay locally that would work. I could mount the toogle switch I have inside the seat. That way no one could turn on the controller without a key. I never really thought of the way the old controller worked. The orange wire gave the key switch power and the blue wire turned the controller on after the key switch.

Because of the way the new controller is wired anyone can turn the toggle switch on and start running the motor. So I guess my options are get the proper relay or move the toogle under the seat where it is locked up.

I will probable get the proper relay and wire it in after the dc converter and at that time wire in the gray wire circuit to reduce my top speed as suggested by sixpax2k9 Thanks again sixpax2k9

hguido1

Obviously wait and see if anyone else knows for sure about using the 12V relay for the 72V transfer.
Although you may need to use 6 12V relays for it. Are you sure it requires the full 72V to turn on?

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3534-30-mph-xtreme-xb-600-60v-modification-instructions?page=1#comment-21095
Thats a link to a post with a 48V relay for about $6.

Also.... powering the ignition/lights/dc-dc converter with 5 batteries and running off of 6 batteries..... I hope you are charging that last battery alone with a 12V charger, as with that wiring status your pack WILL become unbalanced and possibly give you a lot of problems....

I am charging the 6th battery separate right now with 12v charger, but I have a 72v charger on the way. I don't drive the bike at night so I am not sure how much the other stuff drains on the batteries. I did find the thread you referred to and actually that is the relay I was thinking about ordering. I didn't want to order and have to wait if it could be done another way.

JamesS
JamesS's picture

I think you are confusing relay coil volt rating with the relays contact voltage rating. The whole purpose of a relay is to switch a different voltage or current with a control voltage. You should be able to find a relay (1) that will fit your needs. Using multiple relays for the same load is ill advised.

Happy scooting,
JamesS

hguido1

I think you are confusing relay coil volt rating with the relays contact voltage rating. The whole purpose of a relay is to switch a different voltage or current with a control voltage. You should be able to find a relay (1) that will fit your needs. Using multiple relays for the same load is ill advised.

I think I found the relay at radioshack. It has a coil votage of 12v and contacts good up to 125vdc. So this should work. If anyone knows of another option please let me know. Thanks

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage